Flywheel/Clutch plate - Series IIA

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a 9.5" clutch plate and pressure plate to a 1965 SIIa engine? I understand the later engines (69-71) had the larger (originally Diesel) clutch plate fitted, before they went over to the SIII which had the larger clutch anyway.

Is the flywheel different between 1968 and 1969, or can I fit the larger clutch?

TIA

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Only one part number for the flywheel, on the same page that has both clutches listed, so it seems the flywheel is the same. However, there are three dowels for the 9.5" clutch and two for the 9" clutch, so these would need modifying, but it would seem from the parts book that the holes are already there for either two or three dowels. JD

Reply to
JD

Wot he sez, you can either remove or grind off the dowel between the two spare holes. You will need two dowels to fill the spare holes (Pt No 502116) and you will also need the clutch cover with the centre boss on the spring as the bell housing is deeper on the 2A than the series 3.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

That's confused matters. Why? Late Petrol 2a's were fitted with the

9.5" clutch, and 2a diesels were also fitted with it.

I presume you mean if I fit a S3 clutch cover, which has the different release mechanisim?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes - the S3 & S2a 9.5" clutch covers are different because the withdrawal mechanism is different. The S2a mechanism was designed to use a separate lever cover, so when a diaphragm spring cover was fitted, effectively it needed an adapter fitted to the cover. The S3 was designed from scratch to use a diaphragm spring cover, so no adapter is needed. JD

Reply to
JD