fog light and clear lens

I'm in the process of replacing the light lenses on my 110 with clear lenses with coloured bulbs where needed.

I'm unsure about the fog light lens. could I fit a white lins from a reversing light with a red tinted bulb behind and still be all legal and proper?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

There is no such thing as a legal red-tinted filament bulb - apparently the light produced isn't red enough. I have seen red LED bulbs but these were sold as "not for road use" so assume that these are not legal either.

Orange-tinted bulbs with clear lenses, as fitted by LR on the latest Defenders, are fine.

Reply to
David Willerton

On or around Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:28:54 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

the superbright leds lot have angled bulbs. However... they won't look right in that lamp unit, even if they fit.

I tried putting clear lenses on mine, but decided in the end to go back to normal ones. Had some clear ones on the front indicators. Somehow, they don;t look as bright as amber ones. dunno why.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"David Willerton" wrote

Someone sells indicator bulbs that look white, no orange shows when off, but they glow the correct colour when lit. Made for those of us with clear indicator lenses that don't like the orange bulb showing.

Found them eventually, they are Philips Silver Vision in PY21W fitting, about £13 a pair from

Bob Hobden

Did you just fit a clear lens and orange bulb over the original lamp unit? The "proper" clear indicator units feature a reflector built into the lamp unit, which the orange-lensed units do not, that creates the correct level of brightness. As far as I know, this is only applicable to the later style light units which have the lens and lamp body permanently joined and not as seperate units.

If anything, I would say that the complete, clear units give a brighter, more distinct light.

Reply to
David Willerton

I already have clear lenses and amber bulbs on the front indicators and they look easily bright enough so I'm repeating it on the rear and also fitting LED bulbs to the stop/tail lights with clear lenses, so the only coloured lens will be on the fog light.

I intend taking it up to the local MOT place and see if they think they are ok once it's done.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.