Foolish Boy - 101

On or around Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:39:50 +0100, David French enlightened us thusly:

I still say that if I get around to making this:

then it'll have a counter-steering back axle.

Better paintwork, too, I'd like to hope - just occurred to me that the middle window might be tricky like that, it might need to have more of a pillar and have a standard-sized one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Kevin was thinking of putting a steering axle on the rear of the 101, but just floating, ie not connected to the steering gear. In forward motion, it would act just like an axle being towed on an a-bar, so the castor effect would make it follow the right track.

Of course, if you went into reverse, it would all get mashed up, so you'd need a way of locking it when you reversed.

You could also wire it into the steering somehow, but gear it differently, proportionally to its distance from the middle axle. But that all sounds much too difficult for me, so I'll stick with scrubbing tyres.

David

Reply to
David French

that looks jolly tasty Austin..

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:39:41 +0100, David French enlightened us thusly:

they must have such a system on the back of tri-axle semi-trailers which self-steer, I assume.

I figure all it needs is some modified steering arms and a link from front to back. OK, there are details to sort, but then there always are.

It'd probably need PAS, but then the discos already have that...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:06:26 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

it'd look better with a bit more effort in photoshop :-)

actualy, the original plan was for a 90/130 defender, but a 100/140 disco or RR has its attractions.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

the ones I've worked on have an air chamber that puts a wedge or pin in to lock the track rod sometimes this can be over ridden by putting the rear fog lights on while applying the brake (the question though is why?)

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

email en-route. I like the idea, my main concern with my impending disco purchase is the lack of space from my 110 csw.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:59:01 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

in fact, although the disco body is shorter, the rear space is more usable than on the 110. For carrying big things, the middle row seats come out fairly easily, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well, Thanks for the advice and discussion. Deposit paid, pick it up Next week.

More stupid questions appearing here soon......

Reply to
Mark Williamson

not sure about that, from my point of view anyway. I had, on saturday, 9 people in my 110csw, and my tools. simply not possible in a disco infact I'd be restricted to 5 people or 7 if I took my tools out. and the rear space in the 110 is 4 feet deep, so I could get a washing machine or similar in there easy without having to faff with the folding seats or remove said tools. I suppose the disco can do most of what my 110 does but it involves emptying it and folding seats first. ho hum.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:37:51 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

we got a washing machine in ours the other day, by folding half the split seat, standing up in the back.

but yeah, they're not as big. However, the space is more accessible thanks to the wider door.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The spacing between the lashing points in the back of disco is 30"+ so bigger than the base of a standard 60cm square domestic applicance... Not sure about the height but I feel it is there.

But you couldn't get 7 in and a washing machine, and the rear seats in the DII are really only for littlies. Adults would find them *very* cramped for a journey.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

yea, alright, talked me into it. lol. have to make make sure the floor isn't rotten ot the said washing machine will be riding on the axle.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

here's me thinking up reasons to keep the 110 and not get a disco, it must be love, what a plonker I am.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

But the middle seat leans back over the forward lashing points so you only have 70cm from the back of the seat (with load cover roller blind in place) to the rear door pocket.

Width is just 90cm (with the jump seats, they narrow the space considerably for 10cm or so a few cm above the floor). Door opening height 104cm. Easy peasy for 60x60x90 washing machine. The SLS/Air suspension might be useful as well, get the remote dubbery and you can lower the back end a few inches. Helps with the otherwise 70cm lift but you'll be used to that. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:08:38 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

hehe.

Lemme know if you want a 6-wheeler made :-)

Actually, in all truth, I'd rather do the 90/130 project first - bodywork's easier to manage.

Although in fact for carrying capacity you want the transit-110 hybrid :-D

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:41:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Depends if you're looking at a disco I or a disco II, though, the disco I jump seats are better in all respects except orientation (sideways) - more useable, fold up smaller... I'd still not want to sit on one for an extended period, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

well I doubt I can afford any of the above, but I'm very interested in how you get on if/when you have a go at any of those.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:41:34 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

arwell, there's the rub, innit. *I* can't afford 'em either.

If I could find someone who wants a 4x4 rovertransit (or land-transit, maybe) and was prepared to pay for it, I'd have a go at making one. Actually, I've yet to measure the transit body - but it looks the right size, and since it becomes almost-all non-structural[1], there's no problem about cutting it to fit if necessary.

[1] with notable exceptions like the bits where the seatbelts mount, for example.
Reply to
Austin Shackles