Freelander 04 Low Fuel Pressure problem

Hi,

I have a Freelander 04 Diesel. Recently the car failed when driving. The engine performance disappeared and the engine died completely after a minute. This follows both fuel pumps being replaced six months ago and an episode three months ago when the vehicle very briefly experienced a similiar loss in performance which cleared up after the car was restarted and didn't occur again.

I have taken it to the local dealer but they are puzzled and I feel are clutching at straws.

They have checked both fuel pumps, they are working.

They have checked the injectors and there is no back leaking

They have not checked the High Pressure pump nor the pump solenoid but they say the fuel pressue is okay up to the fuel rail where there is a low pressure error.

At the moment they are blaming the fuel and talking about replacing the entire fuel system (v. expensive) but as mentioned, I feel this is because they do not know what is wrong rather than based on anything definite. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

Intresting, is it just running crap when it happens or does it have a limp home mode, In which case may be a sensor on the fuel rail.. if indeed there is one.

I assume the filter has been checked / replaced? I haven't a clue which side of the filter the high pressure pump is. These are just my initial queries based on no ownership or experience with the freelander.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Have they pressure tested the fuel rail or are they purely relying on the ECU to tell them that there is a fault? Has it been run on anything other than real diesel (bio, veg, or maybe petrol?)

We stripped a customer's injection pump a couple of days ago in the workshop (just for a look) who runs his vehicle only on bio-diesel. The pump was so clogged with what could only be described as a "toffee-like varnish" that I'm surprised it was running at all.

It's unlikely that a high pressure line would be clogged or restricted, but if the ECU thinks that the fuel rail pressure is incorrect then the injectors will have their times altered to compensate which could be the roughness you are experiencing.

-Craig.

Reply to
CraigB