Freelander

There never seem to be much on here about Freelanders has anyone got one and are they anygood Or is it steer clear of them.

Thanks Steve.

Reply to
News

My missus has had a 1999 1.8 Xi 5-door for around 3 years and we both love it. It had a head gasket go, a catalytic convertor break up and a few other bits and pieces. Almost everything has been handled under the excellent Land Rover warranty. Her next car will certainly be another Freelander, though more likely a TD4.

It's certainly more reliable than my 110 (and faster, quieter, more comfortable). On the other hand, she won't let me go playing with the Freelander.

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Steve there have been a lot of mixed experiences with earlier Freelanders ( 1998 - 1999 ) and mainly the petrol 1.8 lt version, I have defenitely had my fair share of woes...including, head manifold gasket, then head gasket, then clutch, then complete engine replacement !!!!

All that has happened to my 1998 1.8 lt "i" Freelander...and all at under

50,000 kms...but unfortunaletly for me outside of the original 3 year warranty ( regardless of the low kms...and meticulous LR service history )..

Also have a look at these links to see other owners tales too :

That said...other than the bad luck I've had...I really love the ride and sturdiness of the car... ( thogh the 1.8 lt is a little under powerd ).

I think the newer V6 .. maybe 2000 onwards is the go...haven't heard many problems from that model yet...

Good luck..

Reply to
Hi-Soft

SWMBO has a 2003 Td4 Auto Es Premium 5 Door, no problems as of yet....... BUT has only done 1200 miles. Only fault I can find is that I can't reach some of the switches on centre console, and I ALWAYS bang my head when getting in, but I am 6' 2". Oh, and switch gear *is* a bit of a dogs dinner of various parts bins leftovers ;-) More reliable than a certain Td6 Vogue.........................earlier posting :-(

Dave '03 RaRo Td6 Vogue - or should this read BMW X5 - Sorry, VW Touareg? watch this space ;-( '03 Freebie Td4 Es Premium '99 Defender Td5

Reply to
Foxhunter

HI!

Have a 1998 Freelander 5-door 1.8 with HDC. I bought it year ago (109 000 kms).

Repairs when buying:

- (big) service (normally at 120 000 kms)

  • left tie rod changed (problem due 18,5" alloy wheels)

Broken camshaft belt (110 000 kms)

  • broken valves, cap etc., under the warranty

Brake disks etc. changed (117 000 kms)

- Service last week (126 000 kms)

  • right tie rod changed, wire to left mirror heater repaired, PAS fluid reservoir leakage repaired, Broken engine pipeline support welded, charger belt changed

next:

- exhaust pipe

It's great car however gearbox is not the best for urban driving. First and second gears are too short. Highways, where driving over 140 kmh (speed limit 120 kmh) the car is effortless and enjoyable.

Matti

Reply to
Matti

Thanks Steve.

Steve,

I - SWMBO - have a '99 2.0 Td (Rover engine) - 70K kms on the clock - no problems so far - we go offroad twice a year. Slight problem with reverse gear , difficult to select - must do 1 R 1 R , then OK Next maintenance @ 80K will be *expensive* +/- 700 euro / 420 UK pounds , dealer told us at last visit that they then change all belts - for a TD4 (BMW engine) these are easier to replace and cheaper. This weekend is freelander weekend at all Belgium dealers - FRL2004 will be announced

Erik - Antwerp

Reply to
Erik De Keyser

The reason the TD4 are way cheaper and easier,is because they don't use belts, they use chains!! LMAO

Personally,I wouldn't touch a pre 2000 Freelander, not saying they aren't any good, just full of annoying problems. My TD4 has been excellent up till now (2.5 years 53,000Km), and can't see any reason why it won't continue this way, it's an incredibly zippy diesel. Scotty

Reply to
landy