Freelander: can the doors be locked without activating the alarm?

Whenever I leave my (X reg 2000) Freelander for more than 2 weeks (on holiday etc.,) I always come back to a flat battery, being automatic, this means my calling the recovery service to start me.

The battery was changed recently (75Ah) still goes flat, is there a way to lock the doors without the arm being activated as I guess this is drawing all the current?

The local Landrover garage assure me, it should last 2 weeks alarmed..............have I a fault maybe?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader

Something else may be drawing power. As for the alarm, I'm not sure with Freelanders but on my Disco if I lock the door with the key and keep it to the left for five seconds the alarms won't come on.

Reply to
eric

If it were me, I'd shut everything off and connect an ammeter in circuit to measure the dark current. With that figure you can then calculate how long it will theoretically take to flatten your battery. You'll then know for sure whether the battery is duff ...if you calculate that it should take 6 months to flatten your battery, and it's really taking 2 weeks, then the battery has one foot in the grave.

An abnormally high dark current could also point to a fault.

Other cheats way around it is to put an isolator on it and shut her off completely, but check if you've got necessary radio codes etc before doing this.

--Craig.

Reply to
CraigB

Where is the vehicle being left when you go on holiday? If at an airport, the noise or wind does set a lot of alarms off and some electronic devices can affect the remote key fob. was good for a nice little earner at Heathrow! Robert

Reply to
Roberts

Roberts uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Indeed, weather stations (the type you have at home) , radar and wireless house alarms have been found to interfere with Landrover alarms. It's well documented moreso for the Rangies I believe. A swap of the brains on the car usually sorts it (for a different frequency one.

Cases of people pushing there cars around a corner and they will start fine (immobilisoer effected), and the relays chattering due to interference (while you sun yourself) tend to lead to the flat battery.

Not many flander thusiasts seem to raise there heads here which is sad but I'm sure you may get more experience from some of the good Flander specific forums out on the net.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Gives me something to think about................

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader