Freelander - curry venting

Hi all,

I have recently bought a freelander, my first 4x4 vehicle, so a few things that may be standard but need advice, its a 1.8se! petrol, with 85k on the clock.

Sometimes there is a strange odour like curry - i expect a load of gags on this one, I have seen some mails re antifreeze leaks, is this a possibility

When I reverse out of my drive all is smooth until I turn out on to the road, then when I stop using the accelerator it feels like I am driving with the brakes on and seems to slow pretty much straight away.

Occasionally there is a "clunk" when "taking up the drive", is this wear and tear, do I need to be concerned.

I hope I can get some constructive info from this group, as I anjoy the vehicle so much but as its a first for me I don't quite know whats expected etc.

regards

Ian

Reply to
Blind pew

stephen.oconnell

The "curry like smell" could be friction material... maybe the handbrake is binding. My Freelander had real probems with a sticking handbrake ( normally first thing in the morning) although it got better after the main recall that fixed a multitude of problems.

Handbrake binding could cause all the above.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

SNIP

Ok the clunking is 99.9% the rear diff centre bush, costs about £15 and 10 mins work. Remove all 8mm bolts from the 3 bushes and the 10mm bolt from the torn bush, lift the diff so that you can remove the broken sush and renew! Easy!!

About the smell, I would first of all change the fresh air filter which is in the passenger footwell normally either 2 phillips screws or 4 4mm screws, the filter should be changed every year.

And to help with your other problem, I take it that you freebie is older than 3 years old, because the early freebies were fitted with the "wrong" transferbox, making the rear wheels turn to slowly, all you can do is either renew t-box (expensive) or increase the rear tyre pressures (free) to about

2.2 bar (33psi) leave the front at 1.9 bar (28psi). Try that and let us know how you got on.

Ging G G.

Reply to
Ging Gang Gooley

Re the reversing problem, it's apparently not a fault. My MY03 TD4 does it. Check out this website for more info.

Reply to
R101

Hi Ging G G

Thanks for all the info,

Re the bush, I bought one of the Haynes manuals so will check it out and grab a bit of time this weekend to get it sorted. Doesn't happen all the time but never experienced it on any cars I have had.

Going to get the wheels balanced too, there is vibration present at around

40-50 mph, steering wheel seems ok, but body shakes a bit. I thought at first it might be heavy body, gear too high, labouring.

Will get new filter too for the weekend, might try tikka masala this time.

On the reversing, if I reverse straight back all is fine, it seems to be when I am turning the steering at the same time.

a.t.b.

Ian

"G>

Reply to
Blind Pew

Hi Ging G G

Hunted through the haynes book, didn't spot on info on the particular bush, would you elaborate a little or point me where I can find the necessary info. I would like to acquire one of the official service cd's if you happen to know where I could get one. The ebayers appear to cover new freelanders or discos.

a.t.b.

Ian

"G>

Reply to
Blind Pew

On the rear diff there are 3 aluminium/rubber bushes, the rear 2 have a bump stop on the top and the front bush is normally the only one that breaks, so you will only have to renew 1bush. In reference to the CDs, you can get them in ebay, but you know that they are illegal copies, I have a set of original CDs because I work for Land Rover & Jaguar. The diff bushes are all the same from 1998 to 2004 no difference what so ever, if you want I canm give you the LR part number.

Ging G G

"Blind Pew" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@eunomia.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
Ging Gang Gooley

I had the same problem with clunks from the back end and changed the front Bush (the one that came out was softer but in tact). Noise went for a while but then returned. The other bushes look okay and the cluck looks like it happens when the Diff hits the floorpan above it. I am beginning to think the diff is incorrectly mounted - I am aware of the centralising Jig that L/Rover use. Would this affect the hieght of the Diff? Is it safe for me to loosen the bolts and lower the diff a little? Haynes (typically) avoid this issue in their book.

Also the electric window makes a terrible noise when lowered (but not when raised)! Any quick fix for this?

Any info gratfully recieved

Reply to
nick