Freelander Gearbox, Transfer Box noise Help!!!

Hi

I have a 98 Petrol 1.8 Freelander. A few months ago started a noise which sounds almost like the front brake pads metal rubbing on the disks all the time. Even when I am doing just 1 mile per hr with the clutch down and the gearbox in neutral this noise is there. The brake pads are fine, I have had both wheel bearings changed and there is nothing rubbing against the alloys etc. It sounds like it comes from the left hand side within the engine compartment and the grinding noise travels through to the cockpit. If I coast along in reverse in neutral with the clutch down the noise is not there.

It is getting worse, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

Thank you for any help.

Jas jason@"remove_this_bit".intesys.giointernet.co.uk

Reply to
Jaz

Think you've a problem with yr IRD unit. Especially early Freebies have a problem with these units. You can check by taking off the oil-filling plug,and watch how the big gear wheel behaves when you turn a front wheel front and backwards.When the gear moves from left to right or other way around,you can replace the unit. Seems prices are dropping fot those units.

Reply to
Woodstock

I had tha same untile a piece of the ballbearing fell in to the gears, catostrofy! Landrover advice no changing oil for the gearbox, that is a capital mistake, change every 50.000 km!

Reply to
Michel