Freelander loud banging noise at idle

On a 2001 Freelander TD4 diesel, I'm hearing very loud banging noises when the engine is idling a few seconds after ignition. It sounds like the normal engine "cluk" sound but five times as loud.

I've heard similar noises before when doing a tight corner, but only yesterday when we switched on the air conditioning, this problem has become much worse and wouldn't go away.

At higher revs, the sound seems to fade away but immediately returns when you idle again. There's no smoke and no apparent loss of power. Everything's okay except the noise, except I'm afraid it's doing damage somewhere.

We've already replaced the engine oil filter and oil just in case it wasn't circulating properly, but it hasn't had any effects.

Anyone have any ideas? We have a bit of experience with the mechanics of petrol cars, but not diesel engines.

Reply to
Long Zheng

Okay. Seemed to have identified the cause.

One of the transmission pulleys seems to be loose, which is causing the transmission belt to shift around. The pulley becomes unbalanced and starts knocking the side once in a while. At higher revs, it balances better, thus, no noise. Will get a mechanic to unload the belt from the pulley to test if this is indeed the cause.

Reply to
Long Zheng

Transmission? Don't think so. Landrovers, even the Freeloader aren't fitted with belt transmission. I think you might be describing what is historically referred to as the fan belt. These days it often drives the alternator, power steering, air conditioning and water pumps also sometimes the cooling fan.

Reply to
GbH

Hmm that sounds suspiciously as if somebody has replaced the timing belt and not locktited and torqued everything up correctly any bets its the bottom crankshaft pulley that is the culprit? That being said the idler on the RRC was doing similar and sounded like ballbearings in a biscuit tin. Derek ( back to just one landy )

Reply to
Derek

Engine on the TD4 is a BMW 320D and is chain (not belt) driven.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

If it is, the OP wants to get it seen to sharpish, before the crank gets beyond repair. They'll go for a while rattling away (mine did) but when they go too far, it's new crank time.

Reply to
Rich B

goodness that sounds far too sane to me how do they think the main agents are going to make money off the Freeloaders if they don't get to change timing belts ? :-) ah but then they did put a belt on the 1.8 petrol engine and on the 2litre diesel so that must be enough for them. Derek

Reply to
Derek

and of course they now have the Freelander 2 with a Ford belt lol

Richard

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" mentioned

snap;- ping ping bang ping -bugger I suppose it is an interference engine?

Derek

I turned down a mint P reg Honda Prelude Aerodeck for £150 because I'm busy with the Disco????

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:15:10 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

bloody nearly everything is, especially diesels.

to be fair, the only ford which had major belt issues was the 1.8 CVH, AFAIK. And some things with chains have problems. Although one of those was the 2.4 duratorq as fitted now to defenders...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry, forgot to update.

GbH is right, it's a fan belt, not transmission.

The mechanic confirmed and fixed the problem.

One of the lowest pulleys (I think it was for the air cond) had its rubber seals all eroded and shredded from the inside. When it span, it would wobble since it was unbalanced. This in turn caused the metal bits of the pulley to bang against other surfaces causing the consistent banging sound. Of course, after you took off the transmission belt, problem went away.

Still, it wasn't cheap.

Reply to
Long Zheng

Now that's a turn up for the books, me being right!

Reply to
GbH

Sorry, forgot to update.

Yeah the mechanic confirmed and fixed the problem.