freelander MOT question

MOT question.

The question; would a freelander pass its MOT if the drive to the rear wheels was disconnected?

I have just been servicing my freelander, and am concerned about the Viscous coupling on the prop shaft. The viscous coupling unit is not seized but is extremely difficult to turn; I have therefore removed the prop shafts and viscous coupling. I am using the freelander front wheel drive only, it feels much better to drive than it did before, perhaps a bit quicker, and probably more economical. Has anyone had experience of running a freelander with the drive to the rear wheels disconnected?

I will restore the drive to the rear wheels once I can find out how to test the viscous coupling. But the MOT may be due before I can replace it.

Thanks

Derek

Defender 90 300Tdi

Freelander Sport Td4

Reply to
laundry_man

I think it's supposed to be like that isn't it? ISTR someone with a rangie with VC saying it was.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's what I would expect i.e. it's meant to be like that.

The viscous coupling in the RRC had a testing procedure in the manual I can't see anything equivalent for the Freelander. The figures won't necessarily be the same but as a guide, for the RRC a constant torque of

20 Nm (15 lbf.ft) applied across the unit should turn the shafts by about 25 to 30 degrees in relation to each other over a one minute period.
Reply to
Dougal

I had a squint at RAVE there is no detail about testing the IRD the maintainence seems to be restricted to draining and refilling and looking for a leak.maybe in a separate supplement I'll have to have a look about. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hello Dougal Yes those figures you give for the RR I would think are similar to what I have on this one. I was concerned there was something wrong, when on the supermarket carpark, trying to turn into a parking space the vehicle stop rather quickly, transmission wind up? But it does have a different make of tyre on the front to those on the rear, which could be part of the problem. Thanks for those figures I will put it on the bench and give it a test.

Derek........>

Reply to
laundry_man

With regard to the MOT question,

My Disco went through no probs with the front prop missing, all I got was advisory saying it was missing (as if I didn't know) Did over 500 mi like that, got some slapping noise from the transer box because I had to have it in "diff lock" and there for one side was had no tension on it and of course no 4 X 4 on wet grass when I had to pull the caravan off pitch (oops made a mess on the grass) improved the mpg ! Having said all that new prop now fitted mpg down a little (chuck in more cooking oil to offset cost) and much better drive and I feel happier.

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

I didn't know that when I first got my old RRC 200 Tdi, I thought the VC was seized. I took out the BW transfer box and temporarily replaced it with one from an earlier RR auto with centre diff but when I came across another BW one that had broken the chain and case and saw the thickness of the main casing (about as thick as an eggshell) I left the earlier transfer box in situ. It was slightly noisier but never gave any trouble and the only mod was to redrill one of the holes on the handbrake backplate. Can't remember if I had to fit the older props though.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Recently MoT'd my 90 with no front prop or diff. Chap just said if it isn't there I can't test it.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon