FREELANDER Pre-Heater

Have just had an answer to a previous question regarding noises which materialise as Pre-Heater noises on my TD4 LS Freelander. How does this Pre-Heater work. Many thanks for the original answer to Paula but I was unaware that I had a Pre-heater! (things have moved on since my series 1!) I used to have a pre-heater on an old VW but that had dials & switches on the dash. I can find no reference to it in my booklet.

Reply to
Muddy-Waters

being a diesel engine it will have something to pre-heat the combustion chamber area as compressed diesel likes to be warm when it goes pop and the preheater warms things up a bit.

I am not familiar with the newer land rover engines but I expect it's mostly automatic and it also stays on for a few minutes after the engine has started.

someone who knows what they are talking about will be along presently..........

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In article , Mr. Nice. writes

NOOOOO

The TD4 is a remarkably efficient engine which does mean that is struggles to get to operating temperature in low load situations. (more efficient means less wasted energy ie: heat)

So In order to maintain a correct running temperature (probably more to stop people from moaning about the lack of heater than for engine life) there is a diesel fired heater fitted to heat up the coolant !!!!!!! while the engine is running.

I dread to think what the tree huggers would think about that. The Super efficient low emission engine being kept warm by another oil burner!

I do think there was / is an option available to switch this on via a timer etc. to act as a true block heater for cold climates

Reply to
marc

I didn't know that, does the TD5 and TD6 have one too?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

As far as I know it's not a standard or optional factory-fit item on the Td5, but the Td6 has one as standard. They are an option on the V8 Range Rover.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

To Paula, thanks you are a star! The year of manufacture is 14.11.2000 and warranty has expired. Has just been for its 96.000mls service with no problems. To Neils question, I am unaware of a centrifugal oil pump.

Reply to
Muddy-Waters

Go have a look at

and you will find the heater fitted to the Diesel Freelander. It can be upgraded to remote control, timer control, and even mobile phone control. I have one on my Defender with remote control and timer.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Smith

I remember looking long and hard for it in mine. I think it's called a "positive temperature coeffecient ceramic diesel heater" or soemthing.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie