Freelander rumble and resistance to reversing!

Hello 2002 Td4 Freeloader ES 5dr manual. Problem 1. When driving along there is a noticable rythmic rumble. I thought this could possibly be wheel bearings, but the dealer says otherwise. They have told me the noise is generated by the tyres being 'stepped', i.e. worn unevenly. I was told this is a common 'characteristic' of the freelander and happens with some makes of tyre more than others. Is this right? Or is the dealer feeding me a load of BS until my warranty runs out? Tyres are Michelin 4x4 with 4-6mm tread left. P.S. just had the steering rack and an engine mounting replaced under warranty after only 2 years!!!!

Problem 2. When reversing with maximum lock. or close to on the steering in either direction, the wee beastie doesn't seem to want to go backwards to easily. I have to give it a bit of power on a flat car park and don't have to brake. It is not excessively bad, but is it a sign of impending doom??

Thanks for any help

Reply to
90ninety

When you check yr owners manual which came with the car,it tells you to switch the tires from one side to the other on the same axle every,I think,5000 miles. Tyres are getting castellated , especially the Michelin XPC. I change mine every 4000 miles,and it's the trick. It's characteristic for the Freelander due to it's four wheel drive construction. Be glad yr steeringrack and engine mounting still was under warranty after 2 yrs.

Kees

Reply to
Woodstock

According to the tyre manufacturers you should never swap sides of the vehicle with radial tyres - they should always be kept rotating in the same direction as the cords start to load up with use and are weakened if then loaded in the opposite direction.

Reply to
EMB

My Volvo manual says exactly that. And always rotate the best tyres to the rear.

My not-quite-half-worn Pirelli P6000 on the Volvo have a noticeable step effect in them, which is due to the cross-braces twisting slightly I am told.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Thanks for info everybody. I will try swapping the tyres about and see what combination works, if any at all.

Anybody any idea on the hesitant reversing situation?

Stew

Reply to
90ninety

The dealer is, in this case, telling the truth :-)

Freelanders cause the rear tyres to develop steps in the outside of the tread. If you look carefully at the tyres you can normally spot it - the outside treads are wedge shaped. It's a result of the transmission type and is what they call a "design feature".

You can ignore it or change the tyres. Don't try putting them on the front as the vibration through the steering wheel makes your hands go numb...

You might want to check that the front tyres aren't binding/rubbing against anything when on full lock. Other than that it's probably just a result of the front CV joints being less efficient at or near full lock combined with the power steering putting extra load on the engine. Remember that this is essentially a transverse engined, front wheel drive car.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks for the advice, If, according to tyre manufacturers, I shouldn't change from one side to the other, and front to back is a bad idea; looks like a new set of boots before my up coming caravan tow to spain!!!

Thanks, Stew

Reply to
90ninety

Thought it was mentioned in the user manual to switch the wheels from one side to the other on the same axle. It's not there where I read it,but it's in the service check list for the LR-dealer. They are changing ONLY on the rear axle from one side to the other.The front wheels are mounted on the same place they were. This is happening every time yr Freelander is in the LR workshop. So, when it's that dangerous to change the wheels,why are they doing it in the workshop-- several times during the tires life --- and I've never heard of any problems occuring. I've done it quite some time now,and it works great.When I start hearing the tires,I switch them,and after some time the sound has dissapeared. I think this is the only way to have full usage of yr XPC tires. By the way ... friend of mine also owns a Freelander,he has fitted Bridgestone Dueller tires,and he doesn't have the castellating problem...

Kees

Reply to
Woodstock

The tyres that are fitted are pretty badly stepped. If the LR dealer is suppossed to swap them round, they haven't. It has been in the workshop 8 times since March!!!!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Swapped rear tyres over yesterday, sounds worse now! Probably too stepped to save.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Hi Stew,

Give it some miles, after some time you'll notice the sound is dissapearing.

Reply to
Woodstock

Yes I had a noise and vibration problem with the rear tyres. They looked fine and had plenty of tread left. Dealer swopped rear wheels with another vehicle just to prove that was it. New tyres cured it.

Reply to
Steve Medlock

It's possible that one or more of the front/rear brake pads/shoes are sticking on and need releasing. Does it happen on a different lock? or when your reversing in a straight line? I think you need to check your brakes out. Your saying "not having to brake" might indicate just such.

Reply to
Dave Piggin

RTFM - it's the viscous coupling and perfectly normal.

Manchester.

Reply to
R101

The brakes are fine. Someone not on the NG has told me it is the viscous coupling too. Thanks chaps. Syew.

Reply to
90ninety