Freelander Starting Problem

Hello - Wonder if anyone can help me

Lately I've been having problems starting my Y reg 2.5 V6 Freelander - everytime you try turn the key you get a 'thunk' noise but no attempt to turn over, I have to keep turning the key to off then try again - usually on the 3rd attempt it will turn over, occasionally I'll get a half assed attempt at a turn over then next time away it goes.

I thought the battery was on way out so bought and fitted new one but didn't solve problem - Took it to LR and they charged me £180 and said problem with ignition loom - new one £300 then told me ah no its the switch on end - they then changed that but it still plays up.

Anyone have any experience on this problem - please post suggestions

Much appreciated

Dave

Reply to
Katash

Katash uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds to me like a starter motor issue or bad earth connection to the block.

You could do with finding out which wire actually provides the low tension

12v to the starter motor.. Next time it happens disconnet is and simply bypass straight to 12. you will need to have the ignition switched on though for the engine to fire.

If this works then suspect either a crap connection at this terminal or a new ignition switch required.

It cost nowt to clean the earth leads and the 12 feeds to the starter so begin here.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Even the most dull-witted Landrover dealer should have been able to diagnose your problem as a bad earth.

The "thunk" you describe is the solenoid engaging the gear from starter motor to flywheel. When the earth connection has deteriorated sufficiently and/or the battery is getting a bit tired, there is just enough current passing to energise the solenoid but not enough to turn the starter motor.

A simple strip down and tidy-up of the earth straps should solve it.

If you'll forgive the expression: it's got f**k all to do with the ignition loom. You have been ripped off by your lovely Landrover dealer. I strongly suggest you hold his testicles very tight until he gives you your money back.

Reply to
Swanning about

It might be a bad earth but it could equally be any poor connection in the high current starter motor circuit. From the +ve battery terminal onwards... You can often find the offending junction by feeling each one after aborted attempts at starting, the bad one(s) will be warm or even hot so be careful.

Agreed about the dealer replacing expensive parts but not curing the fault. Obviously those parts where not at fault and didn't require replacing, complain bitterly to the Service Manager.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Swanning about uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I have experience of Landrover garages... sadly they aren't good. They don't employ many actual mechanics, just fitters who wouldn't have a clue how to actually fix or diagnose something if you can't get a lap top to plug into it.

When we were in Biaritz and the Disco conkenoutten we had to wait for them to get an electronics chap in to tell them the + feed to the coil had failed. Friggin scary. Had I not been stuck on the Autoroute with caravan and Kids I reckon an hour and I'd have had it going. I just wanted to get the hell out of there though and leave it to the supposed professionals.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Same thing happened to me, it turned out to be the starter motor, luckily, I had taken out an extended warranty.

Out of interest, I rang Landrover spares, they were £300+ plus fitting!!

I hope yours is just maybe a bad earth, mine might have been ........ but didn't know!

Brian (X reg V6 ES, Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader

Just thought I'd post an update incase anyone has a similar problem :-

Managed to fix it !

Confirmed it was a solenoid problem by running a fly lead from batt + to solenoid + ..... Same click

removed starter motor with guidance from the Landrover RAVE CD's and stripped solenoid only to find copper contacts & ring black with carbon and crap - was only 1 spot about 1/16th that was bright

Cleaned it with emery cloth and reassembled with some copperslip on the teeth and now it works perfect.

RAVE CD's are a godsend!

Reply to
Katash