Freelander TD4 Coolant

I have a 2002 Freelander TD4 and find I have to top up the coolant level in the tank by up to a litre once a week. Mileage is only about 11000 a year. I cant see any sign of a leak from under the car or where it is usually parked. Can anyone advise if this is normal? The dealer at the last service a few weeks ago dismissed this as a problem. and said just keep topping it up. Has anyone come across this before oh have any idea what the cause is. I always understood that the cooling system was a sealed system which hardley ever needed attention. Hope someone can help. Alan

Reply to
Alan

Alan,

If you find out where it's going........I've never had a Landy that doesn;t send coolant to an invisible place. Does it get to a certain level and stay there (like *all* my Landies....past and present?)

Reply to
<metalthrasher

Reply to
Alan

no but mine leaks oil constantly......................and bought new and only 18 months old, and has had new turbo, replaced A/c unit bodywork repaired, (hhmmmmmm try that whilst Hollingdrakes dont have there own bodyshop and that benhams now wont do it so its a hike to Handforth Dean), heater nobs coming off in your hand, and why is it that salesmen ignore you when you go back in for services? i know why,

oh year and new wingmirrors.

Reply to
THE DUDE

Alan,

I have a 2001 V6 3 door. Have had it for about 2 years. I had the same problem develop a few months ago - and my original dealer couldn't fix it, and the second dealer TRIED to fix it, but I was constantly topping up the coolant every 2 - 3 weeks with water.

Then, down in Canberra, was driving with a friend, with the heater on, and he mentioned the strange smell. He suggested that it was leaking coolant in the heater core - which may have explained the dampness in my passenger floor mat! And yes, when I took it to the dealership and explained this is what my friend said, lo and behold, they discovered this was true, and ordered the part in.

So FAR (cross fingers), I have NOT yet had to top up the coolant. I don't need to run the heating now as it's getting too warm here in Sydney, but when I DID run it there was still a strange smell - I've put this down to residual coolant...

So far, so good!

Cheers...

Dominic

Reply to