Freelander TD4 power problem - car slows down in 5th gear!!!

My manual TD4 has suddenly (well, that's how it seems) become very sluggish.

It now takes an eternity to accelerate through gears 1 to 4, and not until around 2500 revs does there seem to be any power (turbo kicks in?).

I can be doing 55mph in 4th, change up to 5th and, with my foot to the floor, the car slows down to 50 or less. And a mild incline in the road has the same effect - the bloody thing slows down. There just seems to be a complete lack of power.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Myers

Air flow meter? This is the most likely problem on similar engines with the same symptom.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hi, This happened to m Td4 twice. First was a split air pipe to the turbo (apparently very common according to the recovery tech). Second time was turbo failure (much less likely) Check all the rubbery/plasticky pipe type stuff. Front RHS when facing engine bay.

Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Spot on! Had the air flow meter replaced today. Runs like new...almost :)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Myers