freelander TD4 slowing down

My 05 TD4 seems to slow down then run normally sometimes won't pull away and I have to drop clutch and bring back up to the bite and it moves as normal. No code showing initially then major power loss and engine management lights came on showing fuel problem. Had the fuel pump and fuel filter changed, fixed major failure but not intermittent power loss mechanic at a loss as to why it's not all fixed no other codes showing, roundabouts and hills seem to cause most power issues only freelander I know of that's happy to do 30 in fifth gear 45_55 seems to be the most usual speed for slowing down unless on roundabout only other thing I noticed is that I can lose a quarter of a tank whilst driving then find it again after levelling out fuel guage seems to move independently can anyone help

Reply to
karen

That amount of variation in fuel level strikes me as odd unless you have some seriously steep inclines or angles for a significant length of time.

Does the engine management share the same fuel level signal? One straw to clutch at is that it's going into a "eco" or "limp home" mode when it thinks it has no fuel left. I'd expect that to be logged though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder does it smell of Diesel around the front left hand are of the engi ne as you look in the engine bay? This is the area of the Pump and on ours we had leaking seals a coulpe of years back. Can be temperature dependant a nd felt sluggish. no massive leak but a slight weap of fuel on the pump. I suspect that it was drawing air in to the mix rather than leaking fuel out. It cost us around £400 to have fixed which also included having the seat s of the affected area reformed / reground as these are also prone to aggra vating future failures if not sorted. It may not be this but worth consider ing. Other things I'd check are the fuel line and filter. Similar symptoms many years back when a RR Classic Diesel sucked air in a corroded perforate d fuel pipe pick up from the tank. Again not bad enough to leak fluid out b ut sufficient to cause air to be drawn in. It also allowed fuel to syphon b ack in to the tank when parked identifiable by prolonged cranking to start from cold or if parked over night.

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks guys had new fuel filter and pump, cleaned the Mac sensor turbo checked out OK no smell of deisal anywhere slight improvement on cleaning the sensor but not completely resolved

Reply to
karen