Freelander TD4 turbo reliability question

Hi , have been running a 1.8 SW for 4.5 yrs and clocked up 70k relatively trouble free - a few minor niggles - window motors , rubber seal leak in rear window , replaced anti-roll bars.

Now I'm probably changing to TD4 SW but have heard from a misery guts policeman who lives down the road that " they had huge problems with the turbo giving up and having to be replaced at around 20k, ". He said it got so bad that they ditched LR for Honda. Now I've searched around and can't really find anything to back up his claims - any of you guys offer some comment.

cheers, Scott.

Reply to
crouisk

It's a new one on me. The 1.8 is known to be a dog of an engine, so I'd ditch it before your luck runs out. The TD4 is a BMW engine, as used in the 320td and the TD4's I've driven were great.

If a turbo dies at 20K you wouldn't be worried anyway - it would be changed under warranty.

Good luck.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Only problem of heard of with regards the turbo was more to do with the connecting hose This i believe can come off on the early models but is justa quick fix to put back on, maybe your mate (policeman) was taken for a ride!

Mark

Reply to
Jinx

searched

A typical patrol car may have repeated cycles of starting, revving like stink and then a sudden shut-down. This does no favours for any turbo. However, the Freelander is unlikely to have such severe duty, though even 'panda' cars do get severe treatment on occasion. Also, patrol drivers would seem to get on well with the Volvo T5 petrol engines so I would expect no great difference in reliability between this and Freelander. But Heck, what do I know? I have enough trouble with my own BMW to fill a small volume although only the serious ones are engine related :-(

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Seem to recall in the dim and distant past when the Gestapo acquired their first XJ6s that sequence resulted is several holed pistons and copious visage egg!

Reply to
GbH