Freelander weird motor noise

Hi everyone,

Heres the next freelander fault.

When the weather is colder, after its started up an bee running for five or ten minutes, a loud noise can be heard from the engine bay area.

Switching of the engine, does not make the noise stop. The sound heard is like an electric motor noise.

One of my old cars use to make a noise when switched of, that was the Auxiliary water pump. Can't remember if its was the Volvo 440 or the Rover

620 Tdi.

Does the freelander have an auxiliary, electric water pump?

Thanks

Vert

Reply to
vertuas

Does it have the auxillary cabin heater?

Reply to
johnty

The TD4 has a fuel Burning Heater (FBH) which comes in use when the engine is cold and air temperature is below 5 degrees C. Helps to warm the engine up quickly to make the heater work. I think.

Derek............>.

Reply to
laundry_man

Hi Derek,

Thanks for that. I did find some info on the net i had no idea that the car had one of these, i just thought that it was another repair bill on the way, from the horrible noise it makes.

I understand that there is a silencer available but i don;t think its worth the hassle, as long as the noise is normal it ok.

Cheers for th post.

Vert

Reply to
Vertuas

Yup, it'll be the Central Heating Boiler and its associated pump. Mine starts operating about mid-December, and carries on until April. I wouldn't mind paying DERV prices for central heating oil if the pesky thing WORKED, but it seems to do 17 sorts of naff-all when it comes to speeding up the warming of the interior. On a REALLY cold day I can be in the next county before the car gets what I'd regard as 'snug'!

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Yep that's it ........ if you look under the car (passenger side front) when it is on you may well see some output from the pipe.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I fitted a Kenlowe Hotstart to my first RRC - a frightful diesel conversion. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit, especially as I added a temperature sensor and gubbins to switch the heater fan (and radio as it happened!) on when the coolant was at the required temperature. I still miss it (the Hotstart).

Richard

Reply to
Richard