Freelander wheel getting hot

Have a 2001 2.5 V6 Freelander on which the offside front wheel has started to get very hot. First thing I notice is a burning smell inside the cabin.. When I get out and check I find the wheel very hot to the touch (well can't really touch it!) Nearside wheel is cool, as are the rear.

Pour cold water on the wheel the resulting steam gives the same smell as in the cabin.

This seem to happen first journey of the day. Once it has cooled down it doesn't appear to reoccur and the wheel doesn't gete hot. Brake disc does but this is normal.

Anyone have any suggestions? Binding brake pad?

Cheers Geoff

Reply to
GWGY

Binding brake. The wheel heats up as a consequence of the overheated disc.

Pouring water on it is not clever.

Reply to
Dougal

Binding brakes almost certainly. Stuck caliper or piston most likely.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the input.

What is the best way to clean up /free off a sticking piston or caliper please?

Cheers Geoff

Reply to
GWGY

Thanks for the input.

What is the best way to clean up /free off a sticking piston or caliper please?

Cheers Geoff

Last time I had a similar problem some T**T in a Freelander decided to cut me up on the inside and then anchor on

I had to brake hard ( Very ) and landed up popping the piston

I had the last laugh though , plod had him on the hard shoulder a few miles down the M62

"Someone" told me he'd got done for tailgating and undertaking ,

Usually plod in that area drive around with their eyes closed

Any way back to the "chase" !!

Wheel off ,pads out ?? & check the piston and ease the piston back in

Reply to
DieSea

Wheel off, pads out, remove from mountings clean any rust/grunge off the moving parts. Be careful not to strain the hydraulic pipe, hang the caliper with a bit of strong string from the suspension, they are quite heavy. Pistons can be tricky you need to be able to push them squarely back in not lever against a single edge, a G cramp and a bit of wood is useful. Moving them out is easy, *gently* and slowly press the brake pedal but be careful or you might pop it out, assistant to watch or something between the pistons only slightly thinnner than thickness of the pads and disc. "Excercising" a piston is probably only a temporary fix, strip and inspection for corrosion/scoring in the bore is best.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Any scoring that matters will be on the piston - the bore plays no part in keeping the fluid in. If you do remove the piston it is highly advisable to fit a new seal (and use plenty of appropriate lubrication) when you reassemble it.

Reply to
EMB