Freelander XEDi 2.0 tick over problem

Hi there

I have a R reg Freelander, L series 2.0 litre diesel.

It has an intermittent problem. On tick over rather than idling nicely at about 750 to 800 rpm it races ever so slightly up to 1000 rpm. Additionally it sometimes varies rpm at tick over just as if the driver is gently tapping the accelerator pedle.never racing above 1100 rpm.

The car drives and pulls normally and starts every time.

Reving the engine for a while usually fixes it.

I have also found air in the fuel filter. bleed this out and it's OK for a while.

I have changed:- Hand priming pump fuel rubber hoses in the engine bay Fuel filter

I have looked for diesel leaks:- along the main fuel lines, none. at the tank sender unit, none. in the engine bay, none.

I have inspected the air mass meter, looks ok but who knows. I have pulled off various plugs to the sensor units to ensure they are clean and dry, they all were.

Air is getting into the fuel filter from somewhere, but where?? I am considering swapping the duel pipes from the tank to the engine bay but these are peculiar to Land Rover, funny plastic bayonet fittings and hence will cost many ££££'s.

I don't think air is getting into the injection pump, cos if it was it would not start. When I bleed the system at the bleed nipple on the injector pump it comes out clear of air.

This Freelander is now getting on a bit. It's done 90000 miles ish.

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Asker

Additionally it

Hiya Martyn, It sounds like you've already got the answer - it's pulling air in somewhere. This would not necessarily result in a diesel leak so that may explain why you haven't found one. I guess it must be pulling air in somewhere between the tank and the filter so it might be worth a gentle tweak up on any connections in that line. As you say, the tank sender units are expensive, about £180 on my Disco plus fitting. Mine failed at about

150,000 miles, but I got a leak first with no air coming in. It was the smell that alerted me.

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will contribute shortly.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Thanks Tony.

I made a new type of bleed nipple for the fuel filter today, rather than the crappy landrover nut.

It made bleeding the system a whole lot easier.

So we will see.

Tks

Martyn

Reply to