FS td5 engine line

landrover are advertising the sale of the complete production line for the storm engine ! wonder who will buy it ?

the last landrover engine ?

Reply to
<chris

Yes - it's bodge jobs from now on - farewell LR's off-road ability :-(

I was around when the engine for Baby Bently was being chosen - all the marques values went out of the window (with apprpriate marketing codswallop) so that a "Not Very Appropriate But Its The Only One In The Company That Even Comes Close" one can be used. The decision will be made by people who have never driven off-road, towed anything other a modern caravan (and certainly never done both together) and are soley interested in bhp (or kW) at whatever speed the engine runs at to do 80-90mph so it will look good on Top-Gear.

Yes - I am cynical, and yes - I have no doubt (from customer feed-back) that LR are rapidly, as they say round here, losing the plot. Even the Td5 is only tollerated, rather than liked.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I don't think they've lost the plot, so much as chosen a different one. They have decided to build cars which are the best off-roaders in their class and very desirable to people with lots of money. They've done a very good job of that.

That's not necessarily the same as building great off-roaders though, and certainly not about creating vehicles that last for years and years.

Nobody is rushing to fill the void though....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

"Tim Hobbs" wrote

Santana?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Indeed...... and a hell of a lot cheaper. If LR mess with Defender I can see them catching on.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:39:54 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

If I were in the market for a new 110, it'd almost certainly be a Santana. The only thing I think they should do is to offer the 146ps version of the engine at least as an option. 125ps is all very well, but it doesn't compete with the opposition - they're in danger of falling into the same trap that LR themselves have never really got out of, and that's the one of under-powering the diesels. A more-powerful engine in light use will probably be just as economical, and has the reserve of go when you need it.

I reckon the TD5 should have had the same piston size as the TDi - which would have given it something around 3.1l capacity which would have been much more like it. the proposed TD4 would have been 2.5l, and the TD6 would have been about 3.8 which would have been very useful in the new rangie.

still, 's all water under the bridge.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes - but I understand that the engine size of 2.5l is a tax threshold in some countries that were regarded as market critical - which is why the

2.25 was enlarged to 2.5, but the Tdi and Td5 kept the same capacity. JD
Reply to
JD

seems to be the the story with landrovers hey?

- 12 seats in the station wagon (rear 6 barely big enough for a small dog) so it could dodge the tax.

- lights moved onto wing from the s2a to s3 due to lighting requirements in certain countries.

- engine size retained at piddly level due to tax issues.

any more to add to the list??

Reply to
Samuel

Now that IS a change of career direction... though it is good to have a second string to one's bow when the records don't sell like they used to..

Reply to
Natalie Drest

The six seats in the back of the wagon are, I think, unique to the UK. Everywhere else had/has only four. Lot easier than different engines for different tax regimes, though. JD

Reply to
JD

not absolutely sure, but didn't some of the s3 station-wagons here in Australia have 12 seats?

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Never seen one, but that doesn't mean anything. Currently, at least in NSW more than nine seats makes it a minibus with roadworthy inspections twice a year. JD

Reply to
JD

LOL!

Reply to
jOn

There will be another along in a bit. Engines are like buses, miss one and another will be along in a minute.

Let's hope that the next engine chosen for Defender will be more appropriate than the last one eh? If that is the case, then who cares which factory produces it? What I want is a refined and economical engine with around

400Nm of torque at 1600 revs and around 160hp at 4200rpm. Oh! And total reliability up to 12000 hours of service life between easy overhauls. Am I asking for too much? I don't think so because Toyota have offered such engines for many years. Mine has 200hp and it is old technology by today's standards. They should certainly try and offer the 2.7 from the Discovery as an option with the standard being perhaps a tough four cylinder commercial like the Iveco unit fitted to Santana. Both should be available with powershift.........sorry, 'automatic', transmissions capable of heavy and prolonged duty. Things can only get better. The question is, will they get better fast enough to save Defender from sales oblivion?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , beamendsltd writes

Landrover NEED to mess with the Defender.

It is way behind the competition in many areas and way too expensive.

Reply to
Marc Draper

The diesel in the wifes Touareg is a 2.5 tdi & it really does fly, my mates got a V6 3.0 Tdi Touareg & that is very impressive, not as impressive the astonishing V10 5.0, but very good!

Mind you, the torque on the V10 shreds tyres in a few thousand if you give it some whallop!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

LR need to but they are not likely to, other than to change components. Sales do not justify it. There is an element of 'chicken and egg' here of course and there needs to be a bold and creative initiative if sales are to recover. IMO they gave up a decade ago. Defender has remained largely unchanged for over twenty years and that is a disgrace.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The 2.5 TDI in the fat Touareg is nowhere in competition compared to a slightly modified TD5. With my TD5 Defender I can outperform a 2.5 TDI Touareg in every competition, I know because a mate owns one and I forgot to tell him that my TD5 is not completely original :-)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Its a question of 1300 Euros to have what you want. Nice, quick, reliable and a little less thirsty than original.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Sorry? I didn't actually try to compare it to the TD5, I was simply saying that out of the box the Touareg engine is a very nice engine. I wish my 110 had a TD5 engine in any day of the week, but it doesn't bother me that much!