fuel-burning heater

is it the freeloader TD4 that has a diesel-burning heater to supplement the normal one?

if it's gonna be cold, I wouldn't mind one on the minibus... anyone know if this is so or if it's available either new or s/h and how much?

Does it work by heating the coolant, or does it output directly to the cabin?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is the freeloader Td4 that has one. It works very well, but I have no idea how. It was under warranty so I never bother getting into anything technical with it!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the heater via their own exhaust. You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

I believe eberspacher make diesel heaters too (the petrol ones on 101 ambis are very nice). I think theyre used in lots of trucks and boats.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I thought Discos had 'em available as an option. Some blooming weird forgien name that I can never remember let alone spiel.

But google is your friend "diesel cab heater" produces the two makes that I am aware of: Webasto or Ebersp=E4cher.

Output to the cabin but the exhuast goes outside of course, they contain a heat exchanger.

They ain't cheap though, at least not new...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:50:08 GMT, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

eberspacher. Aye, I know about them. Will have to look into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ive just looked on ebay for em and theyre still damn expensive on there :( If the diesel ones kick out as much heat as the petrol ones then they would make driving my 2A in the winter a lot nicer! (no heater atall at the mo). It usually breaks ready for any snow so i dont get to drive it but its actually healthy this year!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:08:47 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I was thinking about the minibus. The heater supplied would doubtless be plenty good enough for a closed van cab, but combined with an efficient Di diesel it doesn't really cut it for heating a greenhouse. And that's with a new thermostat. It's just about OK with the sort of -2 or -3 temps we're getting at the moment, once it's warmed up, which takes at least 10 minutes of mixed driving.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have an elderly (let's be exact - 43-year-old) electric fan heater that I stand in the boss's car before she goes out in the morning, for anything up to half an hour. Costs very little as it's still Economy 7 period, and not only clears all the ice off the windows, but also warms the structure of the car so that you notice the warm air from the car heater so much sooner. It would be nice to have a big pair of live contacts on the wall and a corresponding pair on the car, permanently wired to the fan heater, but I don't think she could park it that accurately (and that nice Mr Prescott might tell me it contravenes some dull regulation or other).

One of those Kenlowe pre-heaters for the coolant would be nice, but somehow they seem so much more trouble (and expense) than my wonderful Ducal Aristocrat (honestly) fan heater.

Reply to
Autolycus

My Disco 1 diesel has a Webasto (thermo top C, auxiliary heating). Works fine. It warms the coolant and when that reaches a certain temperature it switches on the fan. No more cold starts. I love it. Gets bloody hot inside, even in winter. Here:

is all you ever wanted to know aboutstandkachels, as we like to call them ("parking heaters". Ebersp=E4cherand Webasto, parts, manuals (besides Dutch and German also Englishones), used units (6 for sale when I looked, just now), links,downloads, howto's, you name it. But, it's in Dutch... However, forused units look under "Te koop" (for exeample Webasto Thermo Top CDiesel EUR 225, about GBP 170, I guess), used parts "Te koopOnderdelen" and if you want to download manuals click "Downloadmanuals".

Also Webasto UK at:

Richard Kwakkel

Reply to
Richard

In article , Austin Shackles writes

And Webasto. And there's one fitted on Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy people carriers (ours has one), and they often go "faulty", meaning smokey.

You might get a sub-standard one that's fixable off a garage.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around 23 Nov 2005 06:52:12 -0800, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

ah, now that's a point. do any of 'em work with the vehicle in motion?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One that heats the normal coolant water, erm, what circulates that from heater unit to heater matrix without the engine running? I can't see a point of having running when in motion, plenty of "waste" heat from the engine. Those that heat the air I can't see why not...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:28:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, that's the point, there isn't, not on this engine; when it've very cold, the heater lowers the engine temperature, unless you're going uphill.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I changed one of those at work (it was an eberspacher), looks like the glow plug and the mesh tube that goes round the glow plug is fubar. Unfortunately the control panel and the pump are still part of the car and they are not cheap, mind ewe the heater itself was something like £400 on it's own.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

In article , jOn writes

Thanks. I consider myself duly warned.

Our Alhambra (02) has been a money pit, heading north of 1200 (out-of-warranty repairs). I like the design - every issue so far has been quality-related. Given that our Eberspacher failed 18 months ago and was changed out (under warranty) I think we'll be selling the vehicle on ASAP (it's likely to go again in time). I'll not be buying another VAG product any time soon (or a Ford-badged one).

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Eberspacher (sp?!?) do but the 101 type are purely for heating air. Available in both Petrol and Derv (petrol in 101's in the mainas standard) A small petrol tank fitted cunningly will see your able to run independant of the main tank.

zwon on here fersale. Plenty frequent ebay.

Nowt like a steaming eber to warm your cockles.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

We had electric sherpa's for the electricity board and these had heated air heaters as the only form of heating and they could run all the time stationary or moving so I suspect the new ones can do the same thing Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Coming from a petrol background there has always been a lot of waste heat... I did notice that my diesel DII had barely got out of the blue zone this morning and stayed there even after idling for about 10mins, this after driving 3 miles. The heater was just luke warm, mind there was a fair 4C breeze outside, enough to rock the car a bit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Webasto does. Mine does, it completes the normal operating cycle even if I start the engine. As I understand it, there are two types: the Thermo Top Z, which is a "supplementary heater" and the Thermo Top C, which is an "auxiliary heater". I've got the C-type. I start it using a remote control (timer control on the dashboard is another possibility) and after 30 to 45 minutes, depending on ambiant temperature, the coolant reaches a certain temperature (around 72 degrees C, needle of the temp gauge just about horizontal) and the unit switches off. The auxiliary heater is primarily used to preheat coolant and engine, warm the cabin and defrost the windshield. The supplementary heater is, and I quote, "intended to compensate for the shortage in heat generated by engines optimised for low fuel consumption [which rules out the Disco, I guess]." When a temp of 72 degress C is reached, the unit switches from full load to part load. The supplementary goes into full load when the coolant temp falls to about 65 degrees C. So the Z-type would be the one you want, I guess.

Years ago I used to drive buses. They were all equipped with these Webasto supplementary heaters because the engines wouldn't reach normal operating temperatures in winter. So "parking heater" might be a bit misleading.

Google stopped sending me mails (I corrected that), so it took me some time to reply. Sorry 'bout that.

Richard

Aust> >My Disco 1 diesel has a Webasto (thermo top C, auxiliary heating).

Reply to
Richard