Fuel duty silly question??????????

As long as you declare and pay the appropriate duty you can basically use any fuel to power your car ( Landrover ) legally........ I have just registered myself to use bio-diesel etc.

My silly question...........

'Can you use red diesel and then declare the amount used paying the appropriate duty?'

Lee

Reply to
Phantom

I believe so but you have to have *very* *Very* *VERY* good reason for wanting to do it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In theory, yes - indeed that's what you should do if you drove, for example, a tractor for a long way on-road. Quite how you persuade a Ministry check point that you were going to pay the duty, honest, I'm not so sure. Mind you, since it now takes more evidence that required to get a passport to buy a gallon of red diesel, they will be able to find out where you got it!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You could always phone H M Costumes & Exercises and ask them! Then come back here and tell us what they said.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I think it's unlikely as red was introduced solely to prevent it being used on the road. Once red is in the tank it can always be detected due to the something or other that is in there as well. A friend bought an ex Southend airport LR that had never been on the road. He registered it and used it legally but was eventually stopped and checked. He then had to prove that it has once been legally used off road. He did, but it was a big hassle.

Reply to
Peter