fuel gauge not working

Hi, after rebuilding my 1989 2.5TD Land Rover 90, we are unable to get the fuel gauge working (it did work before we stripped the vehicle down).

There are 3 wires coming from the sender unit on the tank itself which re-appear under the bonnet as 2 blacks wires and 1 green wire, but we're buggered if we can find where to stick'em! We've had the dash apart to try and trace (seems to be 2 red/white wires coming from the gauge).

Can somebody advise where the wires go, what power to check for (i.e. voltage, receiving or sending power etc)?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Bob

Reply to
Sponge Bob

Sorry, can't remember exactly, but one wire will be low fuel warning, one fuel position and the other an earth wire. Check the connections on the sender, there's a join onto the main rear loom about a foot back which could be bad as well. I would imagine your earth is bad if you're not getting anything - do you have fuel in it?!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod