Fuel pipe repair

While replacing the rear floor I broke the fuel pipe (corroded) into the water trap. It is a piece of 8mm steel pipe pushed into a plasic pipe. I have a new piece of 8mm copper with a new olive but can't get it into the plastic feed from the tank. I have tried boiling water to soften the pipe but it won't soften it. I have tried a heat gun which destroys it. Has anyone managed to do this?

Thanks Richard

1992 Disco 200tdi
Richard the Bodger

sometimes you can hold/leave the plastic pipe in some boiling water and it may soften it enough. wont melt it like the heat gun.

Reply to
Tom Woods

New pipe I fear may be the order of the day. As the old pipe ages it becomes hardened and brittle. I replaced my last lot on a RRC. That was being used for diesel. It certainly doesn't agree with Plamsa cutters and burning underseal amazing how fast you can connect a garden hose when you need to!)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Having actually read your post properly now, you already said you tried that! sorry!

I have joined the 8mm petrol pipes on the eberspacher on my 101 with both a bit of brake pipe inside it (not sure what this would do to fuel pressure delivery on an engine though as its quite narrow), and by using an in line filter.

Reply to
Tom Woods

New pipe is best option. The only way to fit the steel to the nylon pipe is to press them together and without suitable tools you may have a problem. If you warm the pipe, it will not shrink to fit when it cools and will surely leak.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

It's not easy but far from impossible.

Try to do the job off the vehicle so that you can apply maximum force. Chamfer the outside of the metal tube to ease fitting. I think that I used a hot air gun played (keep it moving) from a suitable distance. Try to pre-expand the end of the nylon tube before attempting to insert the metal tube for the final push. Make up a tapered wooden/metal spike to do this. Don't overdo this - just enough to ease entry. Be very careful to keep the two pieces in line. Avoid kinking the nylon, grasp it as close to the metal insert as you can. Once you've got it well started you can warm the nylon more and apply more pressure to increase the engagement. I've never had problems with leaks - never got the nylon big enough to need to shrinking back on! Tight all the way.

Reply to
Dougal