Fuel sender woes

I'm trying to sort out what the problem with my fuel gauge setup is before I have the rear 1/4 chassis done in a couple of week so I can let my man what I want done.

(200 Tdi CSW 1992 J plate.)

The initial symptoms where that the guage would suddenly jump from a normal reading to full, and then drop off the scale.

For the last 6 months the fuel gauge reads completely empty and the fuel warning light stays on all the time.

OK I've looked at the cables connected to the sender, I have a green one that connects to a red spade terminal, a white one that connects to white terminal and a black one to a balck terminal,

first quetsion are these the correct way round?

I've checked the connect on the top of the rear ccrossmember and it looks like the only none rusted bit in the vacinity !!

Putting a meter on the cables shows, 6.6v ?????? on the green cable with the ignition on, rising to 7.4 volts with the engine running.

White cable has no volts or possible 0.02 volts on it.

I cant take the balck one off the the sener unit easily (Dont want to pull to hard), however tseing ti from the rear cross member connector, it appears to be a route to earth through the sender unit and the fuel tank bolts.

As the syetm has the low fuel light is the sensor for this built into the sensor or is it a blacj box else where, if so where in the font of the vehicle can I find it to test the continuty of the cables from the back to the front ?

Thanks

John

Second question, putting a meter on the cables, having discon

Reply to
john Moorhouse

Interesting I have just discovered this for my series 3 it was showing 3/4 full all yesterday evening and this morning it settled down to an alarming near empty. I have no idea how much is really in there.

I am wondering whether the fuel sloshing around on steep slopes may have caused it to move and stick.

Reply to
Larry

I had similar symptoms, that I chased for about a year, including replacing the sender, before finding the problem - the knurled nut holding the gauge on to the instrument panel, which also has a cluster of instrument earth wires under it, was loose. The fuel gauge reading varied as vibration made good or bad contact for the earth wire from the gauge. JD

Reply to
JD