fuel sensor

My fuel gauge on my S3 has started doing the little up and down dancing thing at the bottom instead of showing me how much I have left in the tank. Is it likely to be the float, gauge or the electrics along the way somewhere? Am dreading trying to repair it whatever it is tho....... :o(

Many thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim

My car does the same thing, and it is due to corrosion and crap on the sender unit on the tank. s'got a coil in it and the float moves a contact along that coil. I suppose it could be the guage too, but i'd check the sender first.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Voltage regulator... well that my first guess anyway. Stick a multimeter on a voltage regulator and it should kick out an average of 10.4 volts if my memory serves me correctly.... However trying to read an average on a waving needle is another matter.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

I had this problem on my 110 diesel.

Remove the two wires from the fuel sender. Earth them one by one. 1 of the wires will light up the low fuel level warning light. The other SHOULD send the fuel guage to full.

If it does, the fuel sender is faulty - they are only about thirteen quid - replace it.

If it doen't, then EITHER the fuel guage or wiring is faulty.

To find out which, take the guage console out but leave all wires connected. Find the + supply o the fuel guage and earth the other terminal - if the guage (with ignition on of course) reads full, then its wiring. If the guage does not move, its the guage that is faulty..

Reply to
David J. Button

many thanks everyone.

Regards,