G Reg 200 Disco Engine Prob

Hi All,

I have Problem With My G reg Disco to Day

I Started the engine & Smoke Pored out & When I Tried to stop the engine it Kept on Revving With Blue Smoke Coming out of Exhaust

Any Info Please

Regards

Jb

Reply to
Office

Probably a blown head gasket allowing oil into the combustion chamber. Needs to have the head off for investigation. How did you stop it in the end? TonyB

Reply to
TB

The Engine Stopped Its Self & It Still Starts At Low Revs & Then Miss Fires with Blue Smoke Out of Exhaust

Regards

Jb

.
Reply to
Office

kept on revin faster and faster till it stoped?

Reply to
George Spigot

On or around Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:28:07 -0000, "Office" enlightened us thusly:

it's eaten it's oil - not a very common fault on the TDi - the old turbo-D was more prone to this. something allows engine oil in copious quantities into the combustion chambers and it then runs away. check the oil level, bet you find it ain't got one.

You can in fact get this result from seriously overfilling it with oil, I expect.

the other symptoms point to a head gasket or such-like failure, or possibly a holed piston. either way it's apt to be head-off time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

i dont suppose you had too much oil in the sump did you

Reply to
M0bcg

Surely a turbo failure is the most likely candidate?

Reply to
SimonJ

If Turbo Trouble ? Would Engine Run At Low Rev's & When Higher Smoke & Miss Fire With Clouds Of Smoke From Exhaust

Regards

Jb

Office

Head gasket failure is very common, an oil way leaking into a cylinder will produce these symptoms.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Office vaguely muttered something like ...

That's exactly what happened on a (company car) Nissan Bluebird Turbo ZX I blew a turbo on .. with a distinct lack of power too .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A common problem, but usually not too drastic, The head gasket has gone (usually No.4 Cylinder), blowing straight into one of the push rod tubes and "pumping" the oil into the inlet side of things. If you managed to stop it before it had got through all the oil, no other damage will have been done and a new (they are modified to prevent the problem) head gasket will fix the job. If it ran until there was no more oil, it *may* well be ok, but the engine will need a health check.

BTW, if it happens to you : Stop the vehicle (you can actually "drive" a bit to a safe place) - clutch in (obviously!), engage 5th, handbrake on, drop the clutch (just take your foot off it) and it *will* stall, just allow a few feet in front as it will obviously lurch forward a foot or two. If your handbrake doesn't work you could go up against a solid object, but you'd be much better off fixing the handbrake!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:45:40 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

you can do it with the footbrake, of course. But you might find out how good your clutch is instead.

if you have access to the engine bay in time, you can apparently stop it by blocking the intake.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A CO2 fire extinguisher will stop it. (so will a water one, but that will stop it permanently!)

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Tue, 7 Dec 2004 01:07:28 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

now there's a thought. let it off into the intake? wonder if halon works equally well?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should do, same method, eliminate oxygen = no ignition. What are you thinking ? emergency kill switch ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

's a thought, innit. optional extra for engines that are prone to it, although I'd not numbered the TDi in that set, in fact. The ones I've heard of doing this trick were the TD and also heard of it in old taxi engines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm not sure if halon would work -- the temperature and pressure in a compression ignition engine might affect the chemistry. It doesn't just displace the oxygen as CO2 does.

Besides, is it even legal any more?

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:18:14 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

nope. But since when does that stop us?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and at least the stuff works.

Outside the world of business this is another regulation that is unenforceable. I'm not giving mine up and there are still people around who will provide displaced functional units.

Reply to
Dougal

It's illegal to use it now and it should be disposed of via a special company. Ownership is not yet an offence however.

Disposal may present problems - I found some asbestos in my garden and took it to a company for disposal. They weighed my Disco in and out and said it would cost £650 for just over a ton of asbestos. Fortunately they then noticed that the front wheels of the Disco were off the weighbridge and the price dropped to 40 quid once I'd backed up a bit. FWIW an empty Disco two up with half a tank weighed 2.2 tonnes.

TonyB

Reply to
TB