gas conversion ?

please yes my email snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Thx

I think the answer depends on why you want to convert. If it's purely monetary then work out the cost of conversion and the mileage you need to do to recover that. If it's ecological then research the figures and decide.

My previous Discovery was a 3.9 V8 in which I was doing about 800 miles per week so a conversion to LPG made monetary sense. I didn't really consider the environmental effects.

I didn't see much change in fuel consumption (still managed 16/17mpg) but with LPG at half the price of petrol the savings were impressive. The vehicle actually ran better on LPG ~ smoother, more responsive ~ than petrol.

I went for a single point conversion (now I would go for multi-point) with 2x40l tanks mounted in place of the normal petrol tank and a small (25l) petrol tank mounted in the rear wing area. This meant I could still greenlane and didn't lose any boot space.

I could probably dig up some photographs if you are interested.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

On a related note - can i transfer LPG from one vehicle to another? I keep finding one vehicle empty and having to divert via a garage on me way out.

I'm guessing a cant do it without plumbing something into the tank-vaporiser pipes since there is a one way valve on the fillers.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You've answered your own question Tom. ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Surprisingly few near the Davis Crib (must stop watching MTV) according to the finder thingy aside from the m6, Trentham Fenton and Etruria seem to be the closest 3ml - 5ml? you'd have to hope they'd open a Morrisons nearby. I'm lucky in that respect bracketed by two within a 1 1/2 radius thought the airport had one as well which would have been nice. Derek

Derek

Reply to
Derek

You could (legality questionable in the UK as I don't know the rules, but definitely against the rules here in NZ) do as I have done in the past and add a suitable fitting so you can add a 9kg LPG cylinder as a fuel source to get you to a filling station.

Reply to
EMB

3-5 miles isnt really very far though! When you have a tank range of 150-250 miles it isnt too tricky to go out of your way slightly and fill up at somepoint during that distance.. If there wasnt one within 10 miles it would be harder!

Mrs D must go shopping atleast once a week. Ideal opportunity to fill up then! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ok.. so i need a 3 way connector to put in my main feed pipes that goes out to a standard forecourt style filler thingy? and i could then turn on the tank solenoid on the donor and transfer LPG over to the other tank? Are there any quick release, sealing LPG connectors i could plumb in coming off the 3 way connector?

I assume it would only flow until the pressure equalised in them both?

- so i could turn a full tank and an empty tank into 2 half full ones?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sorry ZoNeHeaD, I've hunted high and low for the pictures but simply=20 can't find them. I know they were on a CD but we've recently moved house =

and there's lots of stuff I can't find :-( I think SWMBO had a "sort=20 out" before we moved ...

All the various parts were sourced from the Internet so a few Google=20 searches should find what you're looking for.

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

FFS!

Can't be that hard to fill up when out shopping! ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

But it would need to be fitted upside down. Whilst it can be done and there are hand/electric pumps available it's not all that practical.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

I run a V8 efi Defender 90 auto. It's not the mpg that counts its the mpg you get compared to petrol and I only lose about 10% compared to petrol for less than half the price per litre compared to petrol. I've had the system now for about 7 years and it cost me just on a grand so it's paid for itself several times over and I get to bomb around in a V8 instead of a totally uncool diesel.

The cheapest supplier in our area is in fact in Hanley on Festival Park which is not a million miles from Newcastle-u-l.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

No but if you buy propane for road sue you are required to pay the difference. You can if you wish buy the 48kg bottles and fill up from them if you wish.

Reply to
hugh

Depends were you. Apart from the village the only other LPG I know of is just south of Scotch Corner over 60 miles, non-shopping, round trip. I would expect there to be LPG in Penrith, Hexham or Carlisle though so the round trip drops to nearer 50 but as Tesco (our weekly shop) doesn't do LPG...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Tom Woods writes

Err - no. The pressure is determined by temperature not by the volume of liquid in the tank. You would need a pump.

Reply to
hugh

Yes I used to think like that, I've got the T shirt and put it away for my next mucky job. I've done trick motors (IIa 4.2 Jag lump and auto) that leave skid marks on passengers pants, now I'm growing up a bit ;-). V8's sound nice - thats where the advantages stop. Nowt else going for them, Had four V8 Landies and Three Diesels. Admittedly the Diesel in my current RR is far better than any other I've had and if the newer ones are as good / better then I will fail to miss the v8.

Pay attention at the back!

Try Calor at Smallthorne Islands - set up an account it's cheaper still.

I didn't it was further out of my way.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My comment was tongue in cheek Dave, I appreciate it (see other posts in this thread) - others with larger tanks have it somewhat easier though (yet still run out of gas-- ahem ;-) ).

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Not for pumping it across, just run directly off it - works a treat.

Reply to
EMB

:p

I work about half a mile away from morrisons in crewe. I'm just lazy! (and the LPG gauges are s**te so you often dont notice how empty they are till its too late!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

They sell biodiesel at GT on festival park too you know..! ;) will the fancy new toy work on that?

I've been filling up at GT a lot recently. You have a 110 dont you?

Oooh. havent found that one yet! how much is it?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm confused by LPG - how come you have to pump it into the tank when it vaporises quite happily on its own. Is it pressureised slightly in the tank? Is this what keeps it as liquid?

Whay cant you just connect a full tank to an empty one and let the fuller one vent into the emptier one? Would the LPG not just spread evenly between the 2 tanks and thus make them both half full?

Reply to
Tom Woods