Gear changing question

Are you sure about "5 gear"? Is it on ebay? Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first LR and got this message from the seller regarding gear shifting.

I wondered if thats normal or a sign that the box must be removed and refurbished very soon. ________________________________________________________________________ seller said............. the gearbox is not synchronied between 1`st and 2'nd gear, and between 2`nd and 3`rd gear, thus it's necessary to operate the clutch twice between these gears. Once to get it into neutral, and once more to get it in gear. It takes a bit og getting used to.

Its a series II 1970 109 safari with the camping gear fitted inside with tent too (whether thats done by LR or a homemade effort I dont know at this point..

5 gear manual box ..petrol engine.

If anybody had any comments on this problem or this vehicle in general....... I would very much like to hear them.

Regards Alan

Reply to
Alan

Sorry I misread the the advert.

Its 5 doors and one overdrive.

Regards Alan

PS Its not on Ebay.

Reply to
Alan

No syncro is an SII 'feature', SIII has a 'standard' gearbox, although it's not as strong as the SII non syncro. There's a lot on the web about buying old land rovers. The main points are: Is it MOT'd? What work did it need to pass? Condition of the chassis? Condition of the bulkhead? Before you buy it, either take along someone who knows about Land Rovers, or take it for an MOT (cost £40). Which part of the country are you & it in? Jon

Reply to
Jon

In that case, ask about the heater! Good luck, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hi Jon, I am up on the west coast of Norway.

The landie is about 4 hours each way from here.

Its MOT ed until December, the rest I dont know as yet.

I will contact the Norwegain LR club and get someone to come along with me on the day that knows more than me about Landies.

It could be a great fun vehicle for myself, wife and two young children, especially if you can have a cook up in it too.

I had lots of campervans over the years and can testify to the advantages of a small cooking set in a car.

I will try to send some photos to you and see what you think.

Regards Alan

Reply to
Alan

Hi Jon, I tried like an idiot to mail you pictures to the address in the Email which promptly came back.

Thanks again

Alan

Alan

That would be the .swb bit. Jon

Reply to
Jon

We are talking double-declutching. Once you're into the swing of things you soon get used to it. While you're learning, do it slowly, which with a LR is not difficult. After a while it becomes normal practice. On awkward junctions I often use 3rd gear to start downhill or no clutch at all going up or down. It's far easier to synchronise than the Morris 1000 or old Minis I used to have anyway, and there's never a significant crunch. The most difficult change is from 3rd to 2nd esp downhill at higher revs and that's the one to gently ease into gear. If you slightly time the ddc wrong, you can almost feel the cogs meshing. The worst 'box I ever drove without synchromesh was on the Herald/Spitfire series on a Mk 11 Spitfire. Engage

1st if not stationary and you'd end up with a clanging bell sound and a jarred wrist.

In the end you'll learn to 'heel and toe' downhill as you brake with one part of your foot and blip the throttle with the other. The ultimate skill was demonstrated by your Swedish neighbour, Stig Blomvquist, who used to drive with his left foot on the brake pedal and right on the throttle, using engine revs as a guide to synchronise gear changes in various Saab 95, 96 and 99s!

Have fun

Eddy Bayton

1966 2a 88"
Reply to
Eddy Bayton

Seeing as you're from Norway:

check out the Norwegian Land-Rover club's website

find the mailing list (or check the Land-Rover forum, linked to from the club web page) - you should be able to find a lot of local resources that way.

---Ketil (1969 109" PU, 1997 110" CSW)

Reply to
Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun