Gearbox and Transfer Box Leaking Oil... Again - Advice Please.

Hi all,

1992 200Tdi - LT77S Gearbox, LT230 T/Box. 145,000 miles

After filling new Oil Seals to my transfer box last week all seemed to be going well. NO oil leaks for the best part of a week!

Yesterday we did about 150 miles - mostly on tarmac and certainly nothing that would cause any damage...

When I got home the spare wheel had tell tale blobs of oil on it, on closer inspection BOTH oil seals have let go again and my gearbox is leaking oil from somewhere above the front output flange of the transfer box.

I now notice (after a quick inspection last night) that there is 1-2mm of vertical play on the front output flange - Any ideas?? The locking nut was thread locked back on when I replaced the seal so I dont think that should have come loose? The flange was scored around the sealing face though but I cant remember it having as much play as that when I changed the oil seal..

As for the rear oil seal - all I know at the moment is that oil is leaking from the weep hole behind the handbrake and that the sealing flange WAS ok when the seal was replaced.

Gearbox - This is more of a concern - It appears that oil is running down the side of the box, over the filler plug and finding its way onto the ground via the right hand side chassis rail. Any ideas where it could be coming from?

Thanks again, Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:56:04 +0100, Jon enlightened us thusly:

that don't sound good, if the flange is moving in the casing - I'd suspect bearings, which would, of course, take out the seal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:56:04 +0100, Jon enlightened us thusly:

is the gearbox breather OK and not blocked?

the main box is pump-fed and has an oil circulation system of some kind, so any leak will be obvious.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Will check the breather tonight - to be honest that could be it - I have never removed it to try to clean it.

For the last 500 miles or so there has just been oily mud down the side of the box, but now its running so clearly needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll let you know.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Arse! Looks like prop off again and flange out to see if shaft moves or only the flange.

I'll let you know.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:58:46 +0100, Jon enlightened us thusly:

movement of an output flange other than round and round is going to take out oil seals in short order.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

blocked breather praps?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a leaky Tx box, moine appears to leask from the end of the intermediate shaft, there should be an o ring on the end of the shaft. I would think that ifthat is missing then you may get excessive play and a baptisim of oil

Tony

I found a copy of the pdf file for the transfer box somewhere online but cant remember where, if you send me your email I will send to you

Reply to
Tony

On or around Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:55:15 GMT, "Tony" enlightened us thusly:

It'll be on that russian server, I expect. I've several versions on the machine here.

I might have it boookmarked... aha:

select "gearboxes", then hunt the version you want. 's not russian, looks more like estonia...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tony,

Sent pm.