Gearbox noise?

Hi group,

My Disco 300Tdi (1995/6) has just started making a noise like something dully tapping something else each time it rotates.

It happens whenever the engine is running and the clutch is engaged, in neutral, first, second and third gears - but NOT in fourth or top, nor when the clutch is pressed. It increases in speed along with engine speed.

I'm presuming it's gearbox, not clutch, because of the way it seems to go away in fourth and fifth. Is that likely? Is there some part of the gearbox used up to but not including those top gears?

It happens in low ratio too, by the way.

Hmm. Expensive repairs aren't really what I want having had several lately. At 220,000 miles, it's not the easiest decision to justify.

Kieran Turner

It sounds like layshaft "chatter" - not fantastically unusual. If it is it might last quite some time before something gives, or it may give up tomorrow. Whether to fix it or not................

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd