Gearbox oil change

Hi all,

If the weather's good tomorrow I was planning to change the engine oil and gearbox oil on the P38. Because I'm basically very lazy, and it's easier to ask you lot than to try and work it out for myself, does anybody feel like pointing me in the direction of the drain plugs and fillers for the gearbox & transfer box? And how do I know the fill levels? Not used to all this automatic gearbox stuff...

You never know, you may help me avoid draining out all the brake fluid and refilling it with ATF. :)

TIA David.

Reply to
David French

On or around Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:10:30 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

assuming a ZF 4-speed...

you should change the filter as well. I've just typed this bit, in that thread about "no drive".

the gearbox drain is on the bottom of the 'box sump.

filter inside the sump, you need the sump off to do this bit, it's held by 6 bolts. You also need a torx of the right sized to undo the filter.

be aware that the filler/dipstick tube is apt to be a sod to get undone, IME, requiring a big open-ended spanner.

You refill it tediously through the filler tube. Takes lots of fluid. complete refill is 9.1 litres, but that includes the torque converter which you can't drain, I've an idea it took about 6.5 on a normal refill.

a funnel which fits in the pipe helps.

Reply to
Austin Shackles