Gearbox problems

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a whining and clattering noise. It got worse and I checked underneath tonight expecting to find a knackered UJ, only to find that the point at which the front UJ connects to the gearbox had a comsiderable a mount of play. Can anyone please tell me what this is likely to be and whether it's repairable or a replacement gearbox job. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Sorry Martin, It's an R380 on a 300TD1

Reply to
John Stokes

Which motor, or which gearbox? It would help if we knew. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

There's just a single journal bearing in there, if you remove the prop then undo the big nut on the shaft and pull off the driving flange and remove the oil seal you will see a circlip IIRC on the shaft against the bearing. If you clean up the inside of the housing and remove this circlip I think you can yank the bearing out if you've got a suitable tool on a slide hammer. I can't remember if the bit of shaft comes out with it and you can replace the bearing on the shaft outside the box. I don't remember anything difficult about it though. The bearing has a fair bit of play in it when new, but it shouldn't be noisy.

Martin

Reply to
Oily