Gearbox rebuild

Hi

A while back I posted about finding a series 2A gearbox to rebuild, I've gotten ahold of one and have started rebuilding it. It's going well... except for the fact that I can't get the mainshaft out >:(

I've got the gearbox stood on end and I'm bashing the rear end of the mainshaft with a 1kg lumphammer that has a block of wood taped to it. So far I've spent several days on it and neither copious amounts of penetrating oil, nor small amounts of heat will make it budge.

Any suggestions on how to get this bloody thing out??

Also: Someone said they had a stock of new genuine gearbox parts, what do you have, how much would you want, etc? So far I definitely need a new layshaft 1st gear and possibly other gears, along with bearings, seals, etc.

Thanks

Reply to
Daniel Collins

PS: It's a suffix E box

Reply to
Daniel Collins

Hi Daniel

I've been through exactly the same thing with a P4 gearbox recently.

I stood the box on its front face on a hard surface protected by some cardboard and bashed the end of the shaft with a lump of 4x2 its surprising how much force is needed but it eventually does shift.

The cardboard also helps to soften the drop of the shaft when it eventually does move.

I believe the more heat the bearing has generated while in use .. the tighter the fit when trying to remove it.

The only other alternative is to use a press but protect that front face of the box or you'll have trouble refitting the bell housing.

take heart they DO come out

Daniel Coll> Hi

Reply to
foobar

Progress!

Ma> Hi

Reply to
Daniel Collins

Don't re-use the old one. I've got these and almost eveything else you will need including the bearings and first gear and gaskets. Is the bush on the mainshaft ok and the associated pegs? All my parts are genuine OE but I am not using them anymore. If there's something I haven't got then I can re-order, that's if they are still available.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I'd also suggest changing the detent springs on the 3-4 synchro., I've had to go in there twice. They can be changed with the 'box installed, but why make things difficult for yourself.

Reply to
Dougal

Don't give in to it get a bigger hammer!

Reply to
GbH

Not sure about the bushes, I need to take some pictures of all the gears/etc to work out what I need to replace. I think the reverse idler might be knackered as some of the teeth don't look great.

Been too busy today with more zenith hell :(

Oily wrote:

Reply to
Daniel Collins

What parts do you have and how much would you want for them? I'm working out when I'll be able to afford to put this back together.

I need a new 1st layshaft gear (511189), reverse idler (561960), possibly the 2nd/3rd gears (600916/245767) and all bushes/bearings/seals/etc.

Thanks

Oily wrote:

Reply to
Daniel Collins