Getting oil into gearboxes etc

Just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else out in the future.. When trying to get oil into places like gearboxes, transfer boxes or anywhere else that's a right royal PITA, just get a Gunson's Easy-Bleed, a bike pump and a knife and get the pump rigged up to the input pipe of the easy-bleed, then you can shoot quarter of a litre or so into a box pretty easily. Great for top-ups. Don't pump too much though or once the box is full you'll have to turn the thing over or yank the pump off to stop the feed. You can empty the easy-bleed out by just pumping all the oil back into your oil container, it empties almost down to the last drop.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I've got a similar solution waiting to be put into practice - work has a load of old water fire extinguishers which are no longer legal (they're chromed steel rather than red) and are being thrown out. They have on-off control via the squeeze handle, a big opening when you unscrew the head for filling and best of all a Schraeder valve pressure-test connection, which should allow me to connect compressed air.

Should work, but on the other hand I can see it being really messy when it goes wrong and 9 litres of EP90 gets distributed all over the garage, landy, me.... ;-)

AC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

But you've got an on/off valve on yours by your description so should be fine. Just don't go over the top with the air pressure - for both controllability and extinguisher integrity reasons.

Reply to
Dougal

Ah, but you could fit an instant electronic failsafe device, voice activated for when you shout "Oh f***"

Reply to
Oily

It's the 9 litres bit that made me go for the gunson's, I've also got some 3-litre plant sprayers but preferred to use a small capacity widget rather than something as large as 3 litres. With a landy, there's engine oil, transfer box oil, diff oils and gearbox oil, it's not so bad in the pinz as it's just got engine oil and everything-else oil. Lots of different oils makes for lots of pots and I didn't fancy dealing in 3-litre quantities for them all!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings