Glass fuses for old LRs?

So where are you guys getting your glass fuses from for your old LRs? They seem to be 30mm maybe a little smaller but some I bought at Halfrauds are too long and they don't do the range anyway. I need the normal 2.5, 8, 10, 12 &17 amp continuous (which you double for the fuse rating).

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ask for their free cat. If you're into vehicle electrics it will keep you busy for a fair time. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What? Playing with all the different coloured wires like a ball of wool?

Reply to
Rich B

Also

Reply to
Carl Hadley

1"1/4, or 32mm Glass fuses.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote after "Bob Hobden" asked

Do they fit the fuse box of a 1987 90? I thought they were 30mm long fuses at max.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Carl Hadley" wrote

Doesn't say the length of the fuses and that's important, it's one of the problems I've encountered with some fuses being too long which prompted me to ask the original question. A lot of the fuses out there do not fit the fuse box.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

As you have already discovered, they do not quite fit, I had the same problem for my 110, had some delivered from Beamends, whose supplier assured us they would fit but didn't, Richard of course put it right straight away, so you could try him, as he knows the issues. I've lost all my emails so can't check out the size I eventually got.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Carl H

Reply to
Carl Hadley

"Lee_D" wrote

Bugger! I have just found their catalogue in with the Key Power Cut-off Switch I ordered from them the other day after a previous thread. I could spend a fortune, so many tasty bits and pieces, horns, lights, dials.......

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It's not too hard to repair glass fuses, if you can solder - just unsolder the ends, pass new fuse wire through, re-solder. No fuse wire in stock? Strip some spare stranded wire, comes in various thicknesses.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

I owned an old Bentley once with re-wirable fuses. A card of fuse wire and a screwdriver included in the fusebox. But replacing fuses shouldn't be an everyday occurrence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep.

OK as a quick fix but fuse wire is not the same as copper wire from flex. I'm pretty sure fuse wire is a copper alloy, though google fails to quickly find anything definitive. Mainly to bring the 1084C melting point of copper down to something a bit more manageable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tin/Lead, Tin/Silver normally, sometimes a copper alloy.

Reply to
EMB

The fuse wire I have handy is copper coloured inside, there were some references on google to tin/lead (60/40 but that is "solder"...) and other tin alloys with silver and aluminium being mentioned.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Might be the case but if you look at a slowmo of a fuse blowing it gets white hot before doing so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like serious overload rather than a more moderate one. OK wire fuses are pretty crap at moderate overloads but they still will fail given time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Often standard fuse wire is just small gauge iron wire which is why it can glow before failing (and why it rusts if left in a damp place!!!) and also why it's a pain to solder without corrosive flux. Tin/lead etc alloys melt without much visible light at far lower temperatures and tend to be far too soft for unsupported use. Nichrome has the physical properties to work but electrically has too much resistance to be practically useful ... except in your toaster!

Reply to
AJG