GLASS in the news

Just got back from Driffield when Simon from GLASS called.

He got a call on his way home and has returned to Driffield as the BBC want to do a piece on the TROs in North Yorkshire - the piece is due to go out tomorrow lunchtime (Monday 16th May) - probably on the local 'Look North' news circa 1pm - I'll try to record it.

Reply to
Mother

This went out on the main BBC1 News at 1pm

I've put the clip here:

8.6meg in RealMedia format

and

6.3meg in Windoze Media format
Reply to
Mother

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The Sunday Times carried a very confused and jumbled version of this story.

It started with the Yorkshire Dales closures, but went on to describe 4x4 drivers across the country. It implied that all use of greenlanes is through a legal loophole that allows drivers to claim vehical rights if a track was once used by horse and cart.

The writer did not acknowlege that greenlanes have been used by all traffic for hundreds of years, including recent time when they have avoided being tarmac'd over. They had obviously been confused by a ramblers argument about RUPP conversion and the existing network of BOATS.

Reply to
DavidM

It's worth remembering that the Ranblers are a very effective lobby - in order to compete with their efflua we need to be supporting GLASS and LARA - without a unified voice, the Ranblers will get their way (well, they are getting their way...)

I did actually think of a good use for Janet Street-Potty over the weekend. Tie a rope around her ankles push her face in the mud and use her teeth as a ground anchor whilst winching...

Not that I'm bitter, you understand...

Reply to
Mother

IRTA 'wenching'

Reply to
wayne

and the follow-up on the news at 6pm:

(Real Media 7.4meg)

(Windoze Media 4.7meg)

Reply to
Mother

Cheers Martyn, I was amazed at the wire that someone had put across the track to catch motorcyclists, I don't think they made enough of that. Other than that there were remarkably few harrumph points, a more balanced view than normal for the British media.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That streched wire bit rather shocked me, that could kill someone without too much trouble then there would be a manslaughter or possibly murder case, that would be a real dent in the anti-off-roading campaign, get them all labelled as murderers using the same logic as they use to group all 4x4 and off-road bike drivers/riders together.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Has it appeared in any news reports, and does anyone have any links to articles? I'll have a search myself when I'm on a more capable computer.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Premeditated murder(*) I should imagine. I can't see how you can "accidentally" streatch a wire across a road. A road that you know to be used by vehicles, let alone motor cyclists. Catching the person who did with enough evidence to secure a conviction wouldn't be easy though/

Quite. As the "ramblers" are into dirty tricks their self promoted whiter that white image needs a bit of mud flung at it.

(*) If such a charge still exists.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

if it was their intention to kill then yes, but I suspect it would be easy to say that it was their intention to obstruct or at the most injure which makes death an unintentional effect and therefore manslaughter. it's academic though, still a bloody twisted thing to do.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I guess a lot of the would depend on the height of the wire above the ground where a motor cyclist could be expected to be travelling.

Very.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Murder has to be premeditated, otherwise it's manslaughter, I suspect you've been corrupted with all these American cop shows

Andy

Reply to
Andy Luker

Yes but it only applies if you stretch the wire across your living room and a burglar accidentally garrottes himself on it whilst making off with your mobile/mp3/ipod/dvd player* having stabbed or shot you and/or your family. (*) I hear colour TVs are no longer in fashion as they can't easily be sold on e-bay - too much packaging involved.

Reply to
hugh

I had just about got as far as York on the Sunday, haviung queued for 30 minutes to get down the A166 and avoid a 2 hour queue on the A614.... Finally got home at 7pm on Monday....

The video of my Disco driving through water was the only bit of water that we found on two otherwise very dry and stony lanes.... and we had got out with sticks to test the depth of the water etc....

The presenter, Catherine, was the one that came in with us for the interview with Graham Hall.

Now back at home taking the engine and box out of my latest purchase, a 1979 Rangie. Had a 200TDI conversion, LT77 box and managed to get it for £750. Should be able to sell the remains of the RR later

Even better was driving round the off road course at driffield to test it, disabling and then getting the AA to trailer it home for me as I had my Disco there, and my fiancee had come up in her car, so none of us were able to drive it back to Peterborough!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

In message , Mother writes

Had a look at their website

They have a local access forum. Interestingly they have 2 members whose Area of Representation includes walking, and 2 for cycling but only one for motorised recreational use - Geoff Wilson former chairman of LARA.

Of the 19 members 8 specifically mention walking as one of their interests but only 2 list any form of recreational driving. Hardly a Balanced representation.

Their next meeting is 28/06/05 Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes 6.00pm. It is a public meeting and questions are allowed provided they are submitted 5 days in advance in writing. My question would be this -If this is a trial closure what criteria have been set for judging whether the trial is a success or failure? Perhaps its the level of complaints about 4x4s - oh look it's gone down since we banned them. In fact I think I'll e-mail them now, formally complain about the ban and ask anyway. Perhaps as many people as possible should do that. The Access Development officer is snipped-for-privacy@yorkshiredales.org.uk

Would it be worth trying to organise some sort of substantial attendance at this meeting together with accompanying questions? Maybe even some sort of demonstration to get media attention? Block the access with Land Rovers?

Reply to
hugh

Unfortunately mailbombing and physically aggravated protests won't help as they just get up people's noses and they'll use it as an example of "typical" 4x4 user behaviour at every opportunity. The best thing to do IMHO would be to contact the local GLASS representative as he or she will be familiar with the people involved in the process. Unfortunately with politicing much of the decision making is based on the individual's personality and desires, rather than what the people want so any pressure short of "I've got your kids" would just be interpreted by them depending on their own prejudices.

Also before you go wading into an argument, it's usually best to find out what it's all about, questions like "how do you judge the scheme to be successful" are very valid indeed and a short list of questions like that would be a good starting point. I wouldn't suggest that people invade en masse as otherwise it all degenerates into a shouting match with people standing up and wasting time with irrelevant questions.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hear, hear.

Hear, hear.

Well thought out and far reaching questions based on looking at the available information, like what criteria defines "success". You never know one of the criteria for defining success may be the level of complaints. These days people seem to find it very hard to stand away and look properly at things, they get the blinkers on and that's it even for the blindly obvious.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why do people continue to use the BAN word?

This should be BANNED!

For all those who will follow this thread, 4x4 owners or otherwise, we have go to do something about this and do it now.

If anyone out there thinks that driving in the countryside wont get banned then think again.

'They' already have much support from people in high places and now it's getting onto the national news almost every MP in Westminster will be jumping on the bandwagon.

If you enjoy driving in the countryside get out there and join the associations as they will give a louder much more unified voice.

And if you enjoy walking in the countryside, as I do, then please recognise that there is a lot of it out there, more than enough to go round for everyone, and please think on, when will it be you turn to have something you like doing banned? simply because someone else doesn't like it.

Going for a lie down now, cheers all, Roy.

Reply to
LR90

And very soon for walkers an *awful* lot more when the "Right to Roam" finally becomes law.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice