Glow plug warning light

Mine would come on for a few secs in the morning before I started - OK

In this recent very cold weather it does not come on first thing (although Defender 300tdi starts perfectly well) but does come on if I restart after a short journey

Anything to worry about ?

Reply to
Julian Pollard

That's been happening with me for the last 40K miles

Same shed as yours

Didn't alter when I put new glow plugs

Just started better ;-))))

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

That will be the stealth heat kit option. ?!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

If anyone needs it, I have the schematic of the internals in the 200TDi preheat timer "relay". For the end user cost, there is naff all special in there, a common analogue quad comparitor IC, a handfull of R's and C's etc, and a large relay to powe the 'plugs with.

I fixed mine when it broke and kept the plugs hot for ever, cost... At that time (8 years back) under a fiver, for a new IC.

What the warning light shows, is not related to what the glow plugs are doing by the way. Two seperate systems, in one small box.

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV

I would like a copy of that schematic, I aint convinced the relay is working. There is a voltage getting to the heaters, but dont think there is sufficent current to get things heating. Starts fine if warm but turns over for ages before starting when cold.

Reply to
Tony L

Thats the problem I had

I put 4 new glow plugs in and problem went away

They're not that expensive from landroverspares.co.uk and simple to fit

About six pounds inc vat + postage

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Yup got a set of new heaters on Eblag but seem to be the same albeit i fitted them in the summer. Do they have that short a life? Not a big diesel expert.... Is 200TDi heaters same as 300 TDi as I have a 200 sitting here waiting transplant into s3

Reply to
Tony L

I checked the relay out using a high wattage bulb

That lights up ok

I replaced the heater plugs about 12 months ago

The improvement in starting was immediately noticeable

They've lasted 12 months and 15 / 20 K as well

Dragons Diesel Clio has lasted 6 years and 140k

I wouldn't be surprised if the plugs were the same for both the TDI engines

Some one on here will be sure to put me right if I've got it wrong

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

I'll look it out, and make it available by FTP.

I'll let peeps here know what and where, when it's ready.

Cheers.

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV