God Bless The Landrover.

I have just recently found that it is possible to roll a 110 Td5 Defender, end over end and then sideways and back on to the wheels, on a normal dry dual carriage way and walk away with a 5mm cut and no bruises. The only glass remaining was the sun roof (protected by the roof rack).

The interior of the landrover and myself was sprayed with molten aluminium as the roof rack disintegrated in a shower of sparks and hot metal as the vehicle slid on its roof down the centre of the dual carriageway.

All this was caused by what looked like a strip of plastic bag blowing out across the road at the base of a hill, impossible to avoid. Turned out to be a square box section iron lintel wrapped in loose plastic that had fallen off a vehicle and wrapped one end in the central barrier.

My landrover hit the obstacle at about 50 - 60mph and took off into the air with the metal lintel caught in the chassis, effectively flipping the Landrover over on to its front bumper, then the roof, then the rear door, down the road, back onto its wheels and then rolled the Landrover sideways twice and back on to its wheels.

My Landrover had no roll cage and basically was factory standard, 3 years old and only 25,000 miles. A spectacular crash (not recommended) that reduced the road height of the vehicle by 23" and shortened the chassis by

26". No seat harnesses just good old Landrover robustness and quality.

I have already been out and bought my next one.

Thank God For Landrover.

BEWARE THAT CARDBOARD BOX OR PLASTIC BAG IN THE ROAD THAT LOOKS SO INNOCENT COULD WELL DESTROY YOUR PRIDE AND JOY OR YOURSELF. =BEWARE=

Reply to
David Garton

Equal amounts of feelings of shitty and good luck! Having been in a flip over type crash myself (not a Land Rover, an Escort) and nearly losing my left arm (not to mention my life), I am with you on the feelings that you get. AS you say, Thank God for Land Rovers!

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Well, just goes to show that there's something to be said for strong vehicles with chassis. I know i certainly wouyldn't have been walking away from my rollover if i'd been driving my Nova instead of my Landrover. Instead i just required some winch assistance to right it and a jumpstart, and I drove away.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Holy s**te batman, I suspect the phrase "brown trouser moment" just doesn't do it justice. Congrats on living through that one.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Friend of my Dad though it would be amusing to flatten the cardboard box sitting invitingly in the middle of the road. The lump of concrete cunningly placed inside said box took the sump off his Mini.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

one of the worst i've seen is a load of 6" nails hammered into the road surface then the tops cut off with a cardboard box placed over them to hide them. Several cars had total tyre failure on the nearside and one of them rolled several times, badly crushing the driver.

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

I was working at Portsmouth docks when a scaffolder turned up. He got out of his cab and nearly fainted. When he left Southampton he had 30 scaffold poles on board. When he got to the docks he had three!!! I've never seen someone go so white!

Reply to
Ronald Swift

Did they ever find out whodunnit? That's a lot of effort to go into for some cheap laughs.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

David Hi,

glad to hear you escaped this very serious accident unharmed. Landies have repeatedly been able to save their drivers and occupants from serious harm and this is one of the reasons I love being inside one of them when I travel on or off the road.

I am collecting photos of damaged Landies which were able to save their occupants so if you do have a couple of shots I would be grateful if you could post them somewhere or send them to me.

I was also involved in an accident a few days ago when a boy racer with a Peugeot 206 lost control of the car and has hit my Discovery on the front LH side (driver's side in Greece) If it were for another car I would have most probably suffered some serious injury on my leg or legs and most probably the cars would have fallen on several people who were bathing by the seaside (the road where the accident has happened is right next to the sea on one of the main summer resorts next to Athens)

The car was checked today by the bodywork repairer and mechanic and the front axle is bent along with the LH side front radius arm mount to the chassis. Fortunately the chassis is intact though and the inner fender and front valance will be repaired and not replaced since the bodywork repairer insisted that it is better not to cut down the part since they can be pulled and repaired without any visible clues of the damage.

If you wish I can send you a couple of photos of my accident. Thanks God no one was harmed also.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

What is it with Peugeots these last few days?

We had one cut in front of us at a junction last week with results that were entirely predictable given the amount of water/oil on the surface.

Perhaps it's a religious thing?

Reply to
William Tasso

I had a 206 run into the back of me yesterday! He damaged his car on my rear step and tow ball!! LOL, Disco 1 Pug 0.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

One is an accident Two is an unlikely coincidence Three is a conspiracy Four is a goddamn suicide pact

Reply to
William Tasso

Personally I think it is envy on behalf of the Pug drivers.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

On or around Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:31:32 GMT, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

Maybe they're trying to make their purge-its look like hindustan ambassador taxis?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

William I also had the same question after reading about the other Peugeots.

I guess Pugs are attracted to Landies. Let's not forget that the TDV6 is a Peugeot engine (its LR code name is Lion after all)

But here in Greece we have another thing too. Peugeot drivers are usually very young and unexperienced but consider themselves as WRC drivers. I believe it must be the same in the UK also. When I spoke with the other guys insurance company the employee has made the same comment when he heard that the other driver (who caused the accident) was driving a Peugeot 206. "A 206 again !!!!"

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I suppose they all think they can drive like this??

Peter

Reply to
wireless

I browsed through the other clips and worth a look is

a Peugeot 205 not for the car but just for the mechanic who looks about 16 no doubt the worry of working for that other team have aged him a bit. Derek

Reply to
Derek