God damn friggin air suspension b*ggery b*llocks

Argghh why me.......

Ok i've had a sagging problem with me D2 for a while now. I've traced air pipes, covered it all with soapy water etc etc and no leaks show up. So ordered a nice new airbag for the back drivers side the other day and it turned up yesterday. Went out to get the Haynes BoL just to see what they say to do to swap it. Now at this point the car had been sat for 4 days and not sunk a bit. Got manual out of boot, shut rear door and ...click....hisssssss....click!!. 2 hours later car sat on bump stops as per usual...ARSE!!!!!.

This click......hissss...click business. It does this when you get out of the car, which i beleive is normal. Someone on here likend it to a dog trampling its bed to make it comfortable before settling down for the night!!. The car drops approx 20-30mm when settling down for a snooze, which i think is normal. So my questions are:

Why would the car drop after i shut the back door?. Is the airbag buggered or am i barking up the wrong tree. ....or do i just swap air for springs and have done with it?.

This fault is beginning to annoy me. Was gonna do the airbag this PM but decided against it as i need to get some of the little clips which hold it in. Have covered them with WD40 but knowing my luck, the second i touch them SNAP!.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Our RRIII does the "snuggle down" when I close the door... though sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it does it sometime after I've closed the door.

Our drive ain't flat. I've no idea why it does it but it goes back to the correct ride height when on duty and that for me is all that matters.

I've never noticed it do in on a level carpark come to think of it.

Spooky!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes, as you take weight out of the car the air springs expand and the computer lets air out to bring the height back down. Mine will do it two or three times when offloading a CostCo shopping trip, three crates of beer, 20kg bag of rice, several kgs of other stuff etc.

That seems a lot, I don't think mine settles that much maybe 10mm each time but I've never got the ruler out. I might not weigh as much as you though. B-)

From your earlier description of it staying up for 4 days until you woke it up then flat in 2hrs I'd say there is a good chance of leaky exhaust valve in the compressor. A bag leak could concieveably have been sealed until the pressure change altered the shape of tne bag but I'm not convinced about that.

DII compressors are not rated to keep a leaky system inflated, they'll knacker 'emselves trying. DII compressors are not cheap...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would Sir be interested in replacing his windbag from a choice of two RR with proper springs? One is a 3.5 auto with WBH handling kit and full Rimmer sports exhaust. The other is a 3.9 auto that rolls like a pig in sh*t.

Richard :-)

Reply to
Richard

No ta Richard, you got the idling problem sorted yet??.

With regard to a leak exhaust valve on me airbags, where might i find this. Sounds worth checking. Will have trawl round the 'net presently.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Heh heh.

Possibly, but inconclusively. John (spannerer) has been running it around since last Monday. Everything checks out on Testbook. All he has done is clean the inlet tract. All being well I will collect it on Thursday. No doubt it will die on the way home!

I would have thought that one of the experts here could tell you where the valves are. Don't you have a pukka manual for the Disco? I have only ever found the Haynes BOL of very limited use - perhaps only for shortcuts not mentioned by the real manual.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

drive car into big puddle/pond and look for the bubbles? ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

All the valves are in the box with the compressor. This box is shoe box size bolted to the outside of the near side chassis rail about half way down the length of the vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ROFL Derek

Reply to