Going to the Car Wash

This might sound like a daft question. But I don't trust some of the gimps who work in filling stations.

Will my Disco II fit in a automated car wash. Nobody I know who have a Disco have ever tried. (Too tight fisted :) .

Colonel

Reply to
Colonel

Does it have the roof bars? If so, I'd be wary. If not, I'd still be wary, but less wary.

Plenty of people carwash their Discos, but that doesn't mean the car wash you choose will cope with your Disco.

David

Reply to
David French

I put my S111 through a few times, but it was getting too wet while I was sitting inside to keep doing it...

Detrious

I wouldn't use a carwash. Find a Tesco or similar jet wash instead (tesco near me has the best). For around £2-£4 (the Tesco one just gives you an amount of time per £1) and it's up to you how long you spend on wash/rinse/scrub/polish etc. Good machine too with an ample hose that gets round my 110.

Reply to
danny

Twas Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:56:51 +0100 when danny put finger to keyboard producing:

Ditto at my local safeway.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Colonel posted:

We occasionally use the Asda carwash in Doncaster, near the Dome, but haven't tried any others .. Many look just a tad too close to attempt .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Try a hand wash if there's any near you, pretty good usually ( damn pricey as well !! ).

Reply to
Hirsty's

Not really (pricey, that is). The top car wash is getting on for a fiver round here and that buys you a lot of time in the best jet wash in the area. Includes polish & rinse cycles too.

Reply to
danny

A Discovery will go through most automated carwashes with no problem what so ever.

Just check any height restrictions as you drive up and compare these with the restrictions warning affixed to the drivers side sun visor.

I regularly put mine thru' auto carwashes at supermarkets in the UK ie Safeway, Morrisons etc etc etc with no problem what so ever.

The only drawback I have found is that the roller brushes do not seem to be able to cope with the fact there is a spare wheel mounted on the back door.

This leads to part of the door not being fully and properly cleaned......

Reply to
MJG

Not quite what I mean't, I use a jet wash all the time and they are fine for me. What I mean't by hand wash was one of those that spring up at disused garages and the like when 2 or 3 blokes get to it with buckets and elbow grease. Not sure about rest of country but in the South east they seem to be sprining up all over.

Reply to
Hirsty's

We've taken our Disco through the car wash in Australia a few times (after big bush trips) and it has no problems fitting - maybe the car washes here are bigger!

Reply to
Viviane

Round here (Peterborough) they charge £5 for a hand car wash, usually staffed by our friends from the far east of europe, they do a fantastic job, my disco looks lik new after they have washed it.

The top wash at the local garage is also a fiver, and though the Disco fits, it tends to miss bits.

Theres always the bucket and sponge method......

Dan

Reply to
Dan Mckenzie

Yes, the one on Bourges boulevard isn't bad. They did tell me to not bother when I pulled in with Hybrid after a play day though!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Sorry, I misunderstood you. We too have one of those hand washes round the corner. I went for a quote and the chap wrote £25 for full exterior wash and T-Cut (nothing inside), but when I presented the quote (on their business card) a month or so later they said I was joking and it would cost £75. They refused to even admit that they gave me the original quote.

Reply to
danny

We have a very good hand wash place in Hemel (Next to the Kodak building) that are very reasonable in price. (Especially for 4x4) Hence you see quite a few 4x4 vehicles using it to get washed.

I think it's around £20 to get a wash and the inside vacuumed. I've taken my RR there a few times and have never been disappointed, always get good reports from other people using them. So not all the hand washes are crooks ;-).

Wouldn't trust those automatic ones as they couldn't cope with my old Renault Scenic.

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

Only way is to ask at the carwash - they will have had enough experience of different cars to know if it will cope with a Disco. My local one has a rule of everything but 4x4s with rear-mounted spare wheels - from bitter experience, apparently.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In news:caq7vk$2h5$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Richard Brookman expelled:

A friend of mine is a carwash serviceman. He says a Disco will go thru the standard carwash made by Washtec. My series will go through ok - it is regularly used as a test vehicle by said serviceman (I'd never pay for a wash for it). The rear mounted spare wheel thing is mostly a PR exercise - with a rear mounted wheel the rear of the vehicle doesn't wash properly (obvious really) - not washing these vehicles saves all the complaints about "my car wasn't washed properly - the back is still dirty".

Reply to
EMB