Grating from Suspension

I'm having trouble locating the cause of a grating noise from the OSF suspension on my 110, when it's articulating up into the arch there is a grating noise as if something is rubbing but I can't find any evidence of this, also get a slight knock when cornering to the left (ie all weight towards OSF wheel).

My local mechanic thought it was the wheel bearing which had a bit of play but that's now been adjusted up and I still get the problem. The knock is much less pronounced but the grating is there. I initially thought maybe a broken coil spring or knackered suspension bushes but it all looks OK.

Any ideas?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Got a hi lift jack?

Get it cranked up high, see whats about then.

Should have the RR this week :)

Reply to
Nige

Tried, can't see anything obvious, really baffling.

Any pics of the Rangie??

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Not yet, it's gonna get some nice wheels/tyres a lift & wheelarch spats for starters....

Reply to
Nige

I'm doing open day at Tong on Sunday if it's usable by then??

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Cant do the next 2 weekends ffs....

Reply to
Nige

Lower svivel pin bearing?

Reply to
Dougal

Panhard rod bushes? If the bolt has been moving about in the eye on the chassis it can creak when the axle moves up and down, and if the hole has worn oval it would clonk when the weight shifts from one side to the other.

Andy Fox

110 V8

Andy Fox

That sounds like it could be it Andy, are we talking about the bush behind the front wheel where the rod meets the chassis?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Easy to check Andy

Reply to
Nige

Undo the big nut and take the thing out????????????

Reply to
Andy Cooke

You can't, it's attached at the front, i had one go west, it was loose in the shaft, piss easy to spot

Reply to
Nige

It's the one in front of the axle that goes from left to right at a slight diagonal. One end attaches to the chassis rail (on RH drive it's near the steering box, not sure about LH drive) and the other end to a bracket on the axle. It controls the sideways movement of the axle, so if the bushes or mounting holes at either end are worn it may cause your problem.

Andy Fox

110 V8

Andy Fox

Knackerd damper?

Does it make the noise AS it's articulating, or once it's at the extreme, if so which, wheel up, or wheel down?

Check the damper turret mounting condition, they corrode and fail, sometimes with symptoms like this, before they break compleatly.

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter