Grumble AutoMAGIC!

I always felt that this advice, when it appeared years ago, was written by someone who had never driven an automatic off road and was drunk at the time and thought it was a good idea.

There are 3 main reasons not to do this:

1) You are in great danger of destroying the torque convertor. 2) If the slope has too little traction you have no way of using the accelerator to get you out of trouble. You have no way of, in effect, releasing the brakes so if the tyres start to slide you can't drive out of it. This is FAR more dangerous than a lack of engine braking. If you fancy going down a wet grass slope with your wheels turning in reverse, please let me know so I can have a video camera ready :-) 3) In a trials competition you're not allowed to stop.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I never said it's what I do, or would do. We only took Troc (RR v8) off road a couple of times and didn't like the auto. Control was just too far removed for our liking.

Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

Being as the ambulance needs an engine change and the gearbox is a bit notchy in 2nd and fitting a 4.2 would be compromised with the gearstick connector between the heads - it's awfully tempting to go to

4.n litres and automatic while I have to make do with a GS...

Daniel (Cheshire)

Dan

On or around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:30:39 GMT, Beth Clarke enlightened us thusly:

I'd be very wary of doing that. most likely outcome would be that you engage the torque converter and stall the engine, whereupon it all goes into neutral. Failing that, if you welly it a bit too much, you'll get the wheels spinning backwards, which would be worse than locking 'em, probably.

Advice is the same, 1L and feet off, but be prepared for a touch of brake if it starts to run away too quick. Brake-plus-throttle as RB says is a way of making it less likely that wheels lock up, although it'll not actually guarantee this.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:34:17 +0100, Austin Shackles

Would a gentle application of the transmission brake not compensate for the reduced braking effect of an auto?

David

Reply to
rads

My experience with transmission brakes is that they are on or off not in between as they have a vicious bite. Also it's likely that overzealous application would snap a half shaft or two. A scary scenario in a 101.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Do it.

Put the remade/rebalanced props on today - remarkable difference. Drives better than it ever did with manual box - and quieter (though I have just replaced the sound stuff on the engine cover).

I'm now an auto-convert.

Do it.

Reply to
Mother

I'm tempted to extend the footplate on the brake - still, will have to be some way on a 101...

Reply to
Mother

When I was talking to Warren about this he reckoned it would be necessary. He may have changed his mind, but he said that autos had to have a wider brake pedal. Not sure which regs he was thinking of, but that's what he said.

Left foot braking is quite easy to get the hang of, but it makes it all the more difficult to hop back in a manual!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Cor, I haven't owned a car with a manual box since my 1971 Hillman Hunter - no, wait, my '83 RR was manual.

I'd never go back to a manual for a daily driver (unless I lived in the bish)

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

I've often wondered about that. All autos seem to have wider brake pedals, but why?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

To fill the gap in the footwell, so that drivers don't think that something has fallen off?

Actually, that's a serious point - perhaps it was necessary in the early days of automatics to get acceptance by the buying public. Look, this car isn't missing something, it's got that special pedal that only automatics have!

I have the clutch and brake pedals welded together to make one big brake pedal on the trialler (ZF auto) and it's almost essential for left-foot braking.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Umm, that should have read " (unless I lived in the bush)"

Blame it on too much red wine

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

Bank holiday weekend at the Town and Country Show (Stoneleigh) 200 odd mile round trip - cruising nice at 65/70 - no problems!

Twas a good show too ('part from the weather, obviously). Got to meet Larry after years of 'usenet', nice chap too - very human. Even Wayne Davies dropped in - alas without a spare bottle of meths (hope you've got your eyesight back Wayne - sorry 'bout that, but you shouldn'ta p!ss'd me off by mentioning what's sat on your drive!).

All in all a very good weekend.

Reply to
Mother

We went Sunday on your recommendation from last year. Excellent show. Hope to camp there next time.. too much to do for one Day. our lad loced the Imagineering section :-)

where were you pitched?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In the motor zone - between the landies and the heavy military stuff. appropriate really!

Reply to
Mother

Bugger, bugger, bugger...

I was determined NOT to do this...

Bugger...

Reply to
Mother

You haven't crashed it already have you...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Stalled - only once ;-)

Reply to