Hard Rubber - Soft Rocks

Greetings

Seems to me that here in the UK we must be blessed with Hard Rubber & Soft Rocks - compared to our Antipodean cousins.

All the info on tyre changing kit seems to be from Oz.

So, kind folk of afl, please tell me if you will, what do I need to ....

# remove tyres # fix repairable punctures # replace tyres ... @home & in the field

got as far as 2x 600mm tyre levers, then some device for bead breaking before I got lost in a labyrinth of Oz off-road chatter.

In the first instance I simply want to remove tyres so I can tart up the rims a bit - don't think the rubber will enjoy a session in the blaster.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

I'm happier using 1 metre ones.

I've never tried the tyre pliers EMB refers to for breaking beads, I use the screw down type that clamps to the rim.

If push comes to shove you can break a bead by driving over the rim, gently, or using the foot of a high lift jack and something heavy or a lump hammer and piece of angle iron, all these latter are tremendously time wasting compere with a bead breaker.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Hi lift bead breaker....DON'T forget to deflate the tyre first!

and more visuals on the Tireplier web site

Picture / video is worth a thousand words!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thank you Gentlemen, but ....

are there any UK based suppliers for this stuff or do I have to order in from oz/nz

Cheers

Reply to
William Tasso

Dougal

And a winch strap commercial vehicle size- my late fathers trick when the bead would not give enough of a seal after being soaped was to wrap a WS around the circumference of the tyre and lock it on this compresses the bead onto the rim then inflate as normal. Derek

Reply to
Derek

These guys look to sell tyre repair stuff like patches and tubeless repair materials.

EMB

On my previous 90, I had steel Rangie rims and tubed, Michelin XM+S tyres. I seemed to get flats with alarming regularity. I started removing the tyres and fixing the flats myself, and used to use a HiLift to break the bead(wheel on the ground under the front bumper), and two of the shorter tyre levers to remove one side of the tyre to remove the tube. A car tube puncture repair kit with patches and vulcanising solution was used to mend more flats than i can recall. I never used a mallet, but washing up liquid was essential, as was a block of french chalk to dust the patch.

The most effective part of my kit was a tyre inflator which replaced one of the spark plug in my 2.25 petrol engine, and used the engine compression on slow tick-over to rapidly inflate a 205 x 16 from flat. A really magic piece of kit!

It's a shame I can't use it with the 300tdi! ;o)

Neil

Neil

You beat me to it! And a very good description of it's operation too I might add. I still have the device somewhere in the garage - might be useful one day - LOL!

Neil

Neil

I've always wondered about these devices - aren't you filling the tyre with petrol fumes? I know it's not an Icelandic lighter-fluid scenario, but I would be worried about it degrading the rubber, over time.

Reply to
Rich B

Like Neil I used one of these and because they are used at tickover there is a high depression in the manifold, the air enters the cylinder unrestricted via a flap in the spark plug adaptor in preference to being sucked through the inlet valve.

I've never used one in the V8 because the plugs are less accessible and easier to cross thread. They were imported by Schrader and are still available in the states but frankly the little electric ones work with less fiddling.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Aha! I din't know about the cunning little valve thing.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rich B

I'd also fancy some tyre removing equipment to keep in/use on the 101.

Has anybody used one of these:

lookslike a nice idea.

Though I didnt initially want to carry the hi-lift in the 101 (I have a decent bottle jack which i trust much more), i suppose it could be useful to have.

What else do i need other than some decent big tyre levers and a tyre valve tool?

Reply to
Tom Woods

The bead breaker looks good, although I never needed one - just used the hi-lift foot directly on the tyre. It might have made the job a little easier.

You need inner tubes - don't spend time looking for the hole while the wheel's off, change out the tube and fix the puncture at your convenience. Tyre lube(washing-up liquid), puncture kit and french chalk. Oh, and an effective hand cleanser to clean the black off your hands afterwards ;o)

Neil

Neil