Head Gasket.....Which one?????

Trying to get my 1996 300Tdi Defender with 114000 miles up and running after I drowned her.

Down to the last knockings and don't have a head gasket

They come in three different thicknesses and I don't have the old gasket which would have the marks on it to denote its thickness.

Anyone got any advice please.

TIA

Graeme

Reply to
Cassillis

Short of measuring the dimension from piston crown to head face as per the book (sorry, haven't got the procedure to hand and it's TOO cold to venture out to the workshop!), fit the thickest one and at least it'll be safe! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

If you haven't pulled the head off yet look along the joint between the head and block for the gasket tab which will have the holes in you need to see,( it's o/s on the 200tdi ) failing that instructions on how to measure the gap are in the 300TDi manual see below

Derek

Derek

If the engine was running when it drowned, also make certain the con rods are straight - it's possible for one or more to be slightly bent which run fine but never produce full power.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , Cassillis writes

Chances are you will only find 3 hole ones anyway.

My local maindealer have never sold any other type.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks guys all sorted now, i hope!

Reply to