Headlamp upgrades

The 1990 Discovery has small front headlamps (and crap output), are there any avenues I can explore in upgrading these lamps?

For example: Do the larger lamps from the later discoveries fit? - I assume these give out more light!?! ;)

TIA, Dave

Reply to
Dave Yardy

Try

- they do exactly what you are seeking. Notsure if the latest lights will work though - they should fit but the wiringis complicated.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

I've seen one done. You need the grill, lights, indicators and the surround that goes around the bottom of the lights, all off the later model.

The mountings for the light need some alteration and you'll need a spring to hold the indicator back onto the body.

It looks good when done. Plus the lights then actually work.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

Get some +30% bulbs from Halfords, they will make quite a difference for £10 and won't overload your wiring.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:40:41 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

Check the condition of the reflectors - replacement lamp units aren't silly money on the early models, if the reflectors aren't too good, new ones make a lot of difference. Philips "vision plus" are the bulb-of-choice here in the standard 60/55W range, very nice, and similar money to the "30% brighter" ones.

Headlamps on our 300-type make a pretty good light.

check the headlamp aim as well, while yer at it, and also look for any dodgy-looking connections. Another thing to contemplate is system voltage, if the alternator is low on output, the voltage can drop a bit with the headlamps on, for example.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Absolutely, old bean.

All low voltage lamps are iffy, coz the wiring resistance is an appreciable fraction of the filament resistance. As a consequence you end up wasting power warming up the wires, the switches (or relays, depending), and any iffy connections. Get that lot good, and yer actual bulbs will work at their best. You can also upgrade them, if you choose, to good effect.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig