heated mirror kits

for the defender.

like bloody hens teeth. who was it who had 'em? only place I can find advertising 'em is in holland, and that's probably out of date.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The one's that I remember were grossly overpriced.

Ashtree Glass

can provide elements, possibly even complete mirrors but I didn't look. The elements are 'trimmable' to a degree. I came across someone else yesterday but can't remember who. I'll look tomorrow if I can.

Reply to
Dougal

Easy Austin my pals at Unitruck

they can sell you complete mirrors glasses or even just the elements to stick on your own mirrors Derek

Reply to
Derek

Stick an oven glove over each... that should keep them warm.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

ive got them on mine. They take a little while to clear, but i think its because they are old.

If you get some, let me know how much they are as i am sure mine will need replacing in the future..

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

just found this on ebay

Mark Solesbury

On or around Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:22:09 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

aha. sounds promising. elements is what I want, unless they do a heated convex glass for the LDV convoy. I'd forgotten about them.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

For many years now we've used our own brand: a 4 pint milk container of hand-warm water over the windscreen and mirrors (and sometimes door windows too). Once you get going they stay clear (even the Landy's mirrors). I'll admit this only works in the morning from home, but it's loads better than scraping ice, etc.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Some excellent contacts here - that I couldn't find a year or so ago despite quite intensive research. I was looking for replacement elements for my SD1 Rover which stupidly runs the elements all the time the ignition is on. No thermostat either.

There's a copper plated mylair film which can be etched like a PCB then laminated to produce low volume runs and could be a DIY method, but I couldn't find a UK supplier for small quantities of the material. The best type are sort of moulded in silicone rubber, but again have minimum order quantities and are expensive even then.

A very kind bloke in the US sent me his old stock of such silicone elements - only a few, but two were the right size - and I wired them into the heated rear window circuit which I altered to a timed type, so the quest sort of went away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got 'em on the DII, can't say they are particulary effective, to the extent I took the covers off and checked the wiring for volts and heater for continuity both of which were OK.

I think the suggestion of an oven glove or even just a plastic bag is cheaper and probably more effective as you won't have globs of water left from the thawed (if it ever does) frost...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But where can you find an optically clear oven glove?

Also wouldn't it ruin the vehicles aerodynamic efficiency?

David

Happy Friday chaps!

Reply to
rads

TTC (Truck and Trailer Components) also have some but nothing shows on the website

Being part of Unipart you should be also be able to get their stuff at the old Partco premises.

Reply to
Dougal

Not to mention an irritating flapping sound at speed.

No, I think oven gloves are probably not a practical solution ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Watlow (

) supply these kind of heaters, they offer a "kit of heaters" with 16 rectangular and three round ones ! Sounds great. I can't find any dimensions or prices :-(Most useless bloody catalogue I've seen in days...Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I don't think you're taking this seriously... If the windows are misted too then other landrover owners won't see you waving. The gloves will carry on waving and quite rightly wave franticly at greater speeds. This will also serve as a visual warning to other motorists that you are in a flap when changing lanes.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That's what the electric blanket and the very long extension lead is for shirley?

Yeah but when you wind your window down and rest your elbow on it in the pose that non-landy owners think is macho but in reality is you trying to get some elbow room, the gloves will slap you about all journey which could get really annoying.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I assume that *is* your professional advice - and that it can be quoted in court if any trouble arises out of using oven gloves. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

You could probably quote it in court in the same manner that you're likely to be able to quote his soon to be forthcoming advice on how to engage in sexual intercourse with yourself ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

For what attention the court paid to my evidence the last time I spoke regards a traffic offence I may as well advise that only lane three can be used on a space hopper!

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D