heater matrix 200tdi Disco

I need to change the heater matrix of my 200tdi Disco (with aircon), and have a few questions.

  1. What is the part number, when I look in the catalogue it states "less aircon" for what I think is the correct part (STC770). Howver, the one specified along with aircon is clearly for a 300tdi.
  2. Do I need to take out the complete dash, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Take out the dash (and all the other stuff that goes with it), did one for a friend, takes about 4 hours start to finish. Not anything like as difficult as some people make it sound, just steady away.

Reply to
johnty

That is good to hear, thanks.

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

I did mine (300Tdi disco with aircon) and I can tell you that pieter is much quicker than me. First step is get hold of a haynes manual. Much maligned but useful nevertheless. This will probably avoid too much plastic bit breaking.

On mine the whole dash/hvac comes out, along with the steering wheel and all sorts of other bits. Again haynes will give you a good idea of what order to remove things in.

I know I could only get the matrix from the Agents (SOuth Africa) and it cost me around R1400.00 (ZAR11:1GBP i think). I have two small kids so can only really work when they are both asleep, but I still think it will take you a while.

Also do you have any idea why it broke. Exhaust gases getting into the cooling system (this was it for me), no antifreeze in the coolant (or not changed often enough, or as is probable with a 200tdi , just old age.

Good luck and hope you don't break too many dash bits.

Regard Stephen PS: d>That is good to hear, thanks.

Reply to
fanie

Thanks Stephen for the info.

I have the Haynes manual, and it looks quite a job, so will leave plenty of time.

It is quite an old car so I think it is just old age. It actually broke whilst on holiday in Morocco. We noticed that we were using quite a lot of coolant, but at first couldn't find any leaks, all hoses were fine, so started to worry about head gasket. When the car was parked on a sideways slope, I saw the water coming out near the footwell, so that clearly pointed to the heater. Took the hoses off and shorted the matrix with one of the hoses, and everything was back to normal (apart from no heating, obviously). Quite a relief!

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom