Heavy duty battery for Disco- 1997

I need a new Heavy duty battery - what size should I buy?

Many thanks

Reply to
DM

069 I think is the standard fit. Be careful about the terminal config though - my 95 had such short cables that even with the same layout some batteries couldn't fit due to recessed terminals or similar.

Truck factors and back-street auto factors tend to be MUCH cheaper than Halfords and the like.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I'm not sure what the disco set-up is, but generally the best method is to take off the top mounting plate (the bit that get's screwed down on top of the battery), take that into a battery shop and get the biggest battery that will fit into it. Also must take into account the terminal positions of the leads on the disco are particularly short.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:22:06 GMT, DM enlightened us thusly:

what engine?

the small commercial battery (type 643 or 644, whichever has the terminals in the right place) will just (by about 1/4") fit in the 300 TDi. You have to re-route a wire which runs round the end of the battery, and you have to modify the hold-down clamp.

I don't think it'll fit the V8, although I've not tried - rad looks wider.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's right. We supply Fiamm, and we've never had a warranty claim (why do I get the feeling that I'm going to regret saying that!).

Apart from the fact that a bigger battery won't fit without hacking things about, if it won't start with an 069 you need to find out what the problem is - a bigger battery just postpones doing the diagnosis.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:00:08 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

true. I forgot to add that when I fitted the 643 (or 644) to ours, it was about 20 quid cheaper for more battery than the local source of 069s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles